translation of foreign dialogue of a movie or TV program; usually displayed at the bottom of the screen
secondary or explanatory title
supply (a movie) with subtitles
A heading below or after a title.
Textual versions of the dialog in films, usually displayed at the bottom of the screen.
To create subtitles for the dialog in a film.
Subtitles are textual versions of the dialog or commentary in films, television programs, video games, and the like, usually displayed at the bottom of the screen. They can either be a form of written translation of a dialog in a foreign language, or a written rendering of the dialog in the same language, with or without added information to help viewers who are deaf and hard-of-hearing to follow the dialog, or people who cannot understand the spoken dialogue or who have accent recognition problems. Television teletext subtitles, which are hidden unless requested by the viewer from a menu or by selecting the relevant teletext page, always carry additional sound representations for deaf and hard of hearing viewers. Teletext subtitle language follows the original audio, except in multi-lingual countries where the broadcaster may provide subtitles in additional languages on other teletext pages. Sometimes, mainly at film festivals, subtitles may be shown on a separate display below the screen, thus saving the film-maker from creating a subtitled copy for perhaps just one showing. Television subtitling for the deaf and hard-of-hearing is also referred to as closed captioning in some countries. More exceptional uses also include operas, such as Verdi's Aida, where sung lyrics in Italian are subtitled in English or in another local language outside the stage area on luminous screens for the audience to follow the storyline.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
sub′tī-tl, n. an additional or second title to a book, a half-title.
blue tits, bluetits
The numerical value of subtitle in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of subtitle in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Images & Illustrations of subtitle
Translations for subtitle
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- عناوين فرعية, عنوان فرعيArabic
- subtítol, subtítolsCatalan, Valencian
- podtitul, titulky, otitulkovatCzech
- υπότιτλος, υποτιτλίζω, υπότιτλοιGreek
- subtítulo, subtítulos, subtitularSpanish
- alaotsikko, tekstittää, tekstitysFinnish
- fotheideal, fotheidealaighIrish
- fo-thiotalScottish Gaelic
- כְּתוּבִית, כּוֹתֶרֶת מִישְנֶהHebrew
- felirat, alcímHungarian
- undirfyrirsögn, þýðingartexti, undirtitill, aukafyrirsögn, kvikmyndatexti, texti, þýðingIcelandic
- 字幕, 자막Korean
- kupu hauraroMāori
- превод, титлови, титл, поднасловMacedonian
- sari kata, subjudulMalay
- undertekstNorwegian Nynorsk
- podtytuł, napisyPolish
- legenda, subtítuloPortuguese
- субтитр, подзаголо́вок, субтитрыRussian
- undertitel, texta, undertext, textremsaSwedish
- phụ đềVietnamese
Get even more translations for subtitle »
Find a translation for the subtitle definition in other languages:
Select another language: