Definitions for statesteɪt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word state
the territory occupied by one of the constituent administrative districts of a nation
"his state is in the deep south"
the way something is with respect to its main attributes
"the current state of knowledge"; "his state of health"; "in a weak financial state"
the group of people comprising the government of a sovereign state
"the state has lowered its income tax"
state, nation, country, land, commonwealth, res publica, body politic(noun)
a politically organized body of people under a single government
"the state has elected a new president"; "African nations"; "students who had come to the nation's capitol"; "the country's largest manufacturer"; "an industrialized land"
state of matter, state(noun)
(chemistry) the three traditional states of matter are solids (fixed shape and volume) and liquids (fixed volume and shaped by the container) and gases (filling the container)
"the solid state of water is called ice"
a state of depression or agitation
"he was in such a state you just couldn't reason with him"
country, state, land(noun)
the territory occupied by a nation
"he returned to the land of his birth"; "he visited several European countries"
Department of State, United States Department of State, State Department, State, DoS(verb)
the federal department in the United States that sets and maintains foreign policies
"the Department of State was created in 1789"
state, say, tell(verb)
express in words
"He said that he wanted to marry her"; "tell me what is bothering you"; "state your opinion"; "state your name"
submit, state, put forward, posit(verb)
"I submit to you that the accused is guilty"
indicate through a symbol, formula, etc.
"Can you express this distance in kilometers?"
Any sovereign polity. A government.
A political division of a federation retaining a degree of autonomy, for example one of the fifty United States. See also Province.
Pomp, ceremony, or dignity.
The President's body will lie in state at the Capitol.
The stable condition of a processor during a particular clock cycle.
In the fetch state, the address of the next instruction is placed on the address bus.
The set of all parameters relevant to a computation.
The state here includes a set containing all names seen so far.
The values of all parameters at some point in a computation.
A debugger can show the state of a program at any breakpoint.
A society larger than a tribe. A society large enough to form a state in the sense of a government.
The physical property of matter as solid, liquid, gas or plasma
To declare to be a fact.
He stated that he was willing to help.
To make known.
State your intentions.
an element of the range of the random variables that define a random process.
A great person, a dignitary; a lord or prince.
State University, as the shortened form of any public university name.
Origin: From status, from stare.
the circumstances or condition of a being or thing at any given time
rank; condition; quality; as, the state of honor
condition of prosperity or grandeur; wealthy or prosperous circumstances; social importance
appearance of grandeur or dignity; pomp
a chair with a canopy above it, often standing on a dais; a seat of dignity; also, the canopy itself
a person of high rank
any body of men united by profession, or constituting a community of a particular character; as, the civil and ecclesiastical states, or the lords spiritual and temporal and the commons, in Great Britain. Cf. Estate, n., 6
the principal persons in a government
the bodies that constitute the legislature of a country; as, the States-general of Holland
a form of government which is not monarchial, as a republic
a political body, or body politic; the whole body of people who are united one government, whatever may be the form of the government; a nation
in the United States, one of the commonwealth, or bodies politic, the people of which make up the body of the nation, and which, under the national constitution, stands in certain specified relations with the national government, and are invested, as commonwealth, with full power in their several spheres over all matters not expressly inhibited
highest and stationary condition, as that of maturity between growth and decline, or as that of crisis between the increase and the abating of a disease; height; acme
belonging to the state, or body politic; public
to set; to settle; to establish
to express the particulars of; to set down in detail or in gross; to represent fully in words; to narrate; to recite; as, to state the facts of a case, one's opinion, etc
a statement; also, a document containing a statement
A state is an organized community living under a unified political system, the government. States may be sovereign. The denomination state is also employed to federated states that are members of a federal union, which is the sovereign state. Some states are subject to external sovereignty or hegemony where ultimate sovereignty lies in another state. The state can also be used to refer to the secular branches of government within a state, often as a manner of contrasting them with churches and civilian institutions.
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. Condition, situation. “What's the state of your latest hack?” “It's winning away.” “The system tried to read and write the disk simultaneously and got into a totally wedged state.” The standard question “What's your state?” means “What are you doing?” or “What are you about to do?” Typical answers are “about to gronk out”, or “hungry”. Another standard question is “What's the state of the world?”, meaning “What's new?” or “What's going on?”. The more terse and humorous way of asking these questions would be “State-p?”. Another way of phrasing the first question under sense 1 would be “state-p latest hack?”. 2. Information being maintained in non-permanent memory (electronic or human).
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'state' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #218
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'state' in Written Corpus Frequency: #762
Rank popularity for the word 'state' in Nouns Frequency: #34
Rank popularity for the word 'state' in Verbs Frequency: #224
Translations for state
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ولاية, حالة, دولةArabic
- өлкә, хәл, дәүләт, торошBashkir
- estat, declararCatalan, Valencian
- stav, státCzech
- stat, tilstandDanish
- Staat, Land, Zustand, erklären, darlegen, nennenGerman
- κράτος, πολιτεία, κατάσταση, καθεστώς, δηλώνω, διατυπώνω, εκθέτωGreek
- ŝtato, landoEsperanto
- estado, declararSpanish
- دولت, فرمانرواییPersian
- valtio, osavaltio, tila, todeta, ilmoittaa, sanoaFinnish
- état, déclarerFrench
- steatWestern Frisian
- stàit, corScottish Gaelic
- מדינה, מצב, הצהירHebrew
- राज्य, प्रदेशHindi
- etaHaitian Creole
- állapot, állam, megállapít, közöl, kijelentHungarian
- երկիր, նահանգ, պետություն, վիճակArmenian
- negara, negara bagian, keadaanIndonesian
- stato, standoIdo
- ríki, fylki, ástandIcelandic
- stato, esporre, dichiarareItalian
- 国, 状態, ステート, 国家, 州, 述べるJapanese
- 國家, 국가, 주, 상태, 선언, 표현Korean
- civitas, status, dico, eloquorLatin
- staotLimburgish, Limburgan, Limburger
- būklė, valstybė, valstija, būsenaLithuanian
- valsts, stāvoklis, pavalstsLatvian
- улс гурэн, улсMongolian
- negeri, negaraMalay
- နိုင်ငံ, ပြည်နယ်Burmese
- stat, delstatNorwegian
- staat, verklaren, bekendmakenDutch
- stat, delstatNorwegian Nynorsk
- biwááshindoon, WááshindoonNavajo, Navaho
- ogimaawiwinOjibwe, Ojibwa
- паддзахадOssetian, Ossetic
- estado, atestar, declararPortuguese
- stedi, stadiRomansh
- stat, stare, declaraRomanian
- штат, о́бласть, положе́ние, прови́нция, состоя́ние, префекту́ра, госуда́рство, держа́ва, на́ция, земля́, ста́тус, утверждать, утвердить, констатировать, заявлять, заявить, объявлять, объявитьRussian
- istatu, istadu, istauSardinian
- држава, krajina, pokrajina, sastaj, položaj, država, oblast, stanje, izjaviti, iznetiSerbo-Croatian
- රාජ්යයSinhala, Sinhalese
- stat, delstat, tillstånd, rikeSwedish
- nchi, haliSwahili
- eyalet, hâl, devlet, il, durumTurkish
- دۆلەتUyghur, Uighur
- стано́вище, держа́ва, станUkrainian
- nhà nước, tiểu bangVietnamese
Get even more translations for state »
Find a translation for the state definition in other languages:
Select another language: