Definitions for smellsmɛl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word smell
smell, odor, odour, olfactory sensation, olfactory perception(noun)
the sensation that results when olfactory receptors in the nose are stimulated by particular chemicals in gaseous form
"she loved the smell of roses"
olfactory property, smell, aroma, odor, odour, scent(noun)
any property detected by the olfactory system
spirit, tone, feel, feeling, flavor, flavour, look, smell(noun)
the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people
"the feel of the city excited him"; "a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"; "it had the smell of treason"
smell, sense of smell, olfaction, olfactory modality(noun)
the faculty that enables us to distinguish scents
the act of perceiving the odor of something
inhale the odor of; perceive by the olfactory sense
emit an odor
"The soup smells good"
"He rarely washes, and he smells"
smack, reek, smell(verb)
have an element suggestive (of something)
"his speeches smacked of racism"; "this passage smells of plagiarism"
smell, smell out, sense(verb)
become aware of not through the senses but instinctively
"I sense his hostility"; "i smell trouble"; "smell out corruption"
A sensation, pleasant or unpleasant, detected by inhaling air (or, the case of water-breathing animals, water) carrying airborne molecules of a substance.
I love the smell of fresh bread.
The sense that detects odours.
To sense a smell or smells.
To have a particular smell, whether good or bad; if descriptive, followed by "like" or "of".
to perceive by the olfactory nerves, or organs of smell; to have a sensation of, excited through the nasal organs when affected by the appropriate materials or qualities; to obtain the scent of; as, to smell a rose; to smell perfumes
to detect or perceive, as if by the sense of smell; to scent out; -- often with out
to give heed to
to affect the olfactory nerves; to have an odor or scent; -- often followed by of; as, to smell of smoke, or of musk
to have a particular tincture or smack of any quality; to savor; as, a report smells of calumny
to exercise the sense of smell
to exercise sagacity
the sense or faculty by which certain qualities of bodies are perceived through the instrumentally of the olfactory nerves. See Sense
the quality of any thing or substance, or emanation therefrom, which affects the olfactory organs; odor; scent; fragrance; perfume; as, the smell of mint
Origin: [OE. smellen, smillen, smullen; cf. LG. smellen, smelen, smlen, schmelen, to smoke, to reek, D. smeulen to smolder, and E. smolder. Cf. Smell, n.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
smel, v.i. to affect the nose: to have odour: to use the sense of smell.—v.t. to perceive by the nose:—pa.t. and pa.p. smelled or smelt.—n. the quality of bodies which affects the nose: odour: perfume: the sense which perceives this quality.—ns. Smell′er; Smell′-feast, a greedy fellow; Smell′ing, the sense by which smells are perceived; Smell′ing-bott′le, a bottle containing smelling-salts, or the like; Smell′ing-salts, a preparation of ammonium carbonate with lavender, &c., used as a stimulant in faintness, &c.; Smell′-trap, a drain-trap.—adj. Smell′y, having a bad smell.—Smell a rat (see Rat); Smell out, to find out by prying. [Allied to Low Ger. smelen, Dut. smeulen, to smoulder.]
U.S. National Library of Medicine
The ability to detect scents or odors, such as the function of OLFACTORY RECEPTOR NEURONS.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'smell' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3803
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'smell' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2408
Rank popularity for the word 'smell' in Nouns Frequency: #1374
Rank popularity for the word 'smell' in Verbs Frequency: #629
The numerical value of smell in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of smell in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
A very ancient and fish-like smell.
Fish and visitors smell in three days.
You can smell it across half of the city.
The smell of decomposing bodies was everywhere.
I love the smell of the universe in the morning.
Images & Illustrations of smell
Translations for smell
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- شم, رائحةArabic
- গন্ধ, গন্ধ পাওয়াBengali
- olfacte, olorar, ensumar, flairar, olor, flaire, odorar, fer olor a, fer olorCatalan, Valencian
- čich, vonět, čichat, páchnout, vůně, cítit, být cítitCzech
- lugt, lugtesans, dufte, lugte, stinkeDanish
- Geruch, riechen, Geruchssinn, stinkenGerman
- μυρωδιά, όσφρηση, μυρίζωGreek
- odoro, flari, flarsensoEsperanto
- oler, olor, olfato, husmearSpanish
- usain, usaindu, usaimenBasque
- بوی, انبوییدن, بو داشتن, بوییدنPersian
- hajuaisti, tuoksua, haistaa, haista, hajuFinnish
- parfum, sentir, odeur, odoratFrench
- bolaigh, boladh, bolaitheIrish
- הריח, ריח, חוש הריחHebrew
- santiHaitian Creole
- illat, bűz, illatozik, bűzlik, szag, szaglás, szagol, megszagolHungarian
- հոտ արձակել, հոտ ունենալ, հոտ քաշել, հոտոտել, հոտ, հոտառությունArmenian
- aroma, bau, mencium, berbauIndonesian
- lykt, lykta, lyktarskynIcelandic
- odorare, sentire, odore, fiutareItalian
- 匂い, 嗅覚, 匂いを感じる, 嗅ぐ, 匂うJapanese
- ngambu, mambuJavanese
- 냄새, 냄새를 맡다Korean
- بۆنکردن, بۆنKurdish
- oleo, odor, olefaciō, olfaciōLatin
- kvapas, uoslė, uostiLithuanian
- smarža, oža, ostLatvian
- hongihongi, whakamono, konakona, hongiMāori
- мирис, миризба, мириса, намирисуваMacedonian
- ഗന്ധം, വാസന, മണം, ഘ്രാണശക്തിMalayalam
- वास, वास घेणेMarathi
- luktesans, luktNorwegian
- stank, ruiken, geuren, geur, reuk, reukzin, stinkenDutch
- luktesans, luktNorwegian Nynorsk
- stinke, lukteNorwegian
- yishchin, honishchinNavajo, Navaho
- zapach, węch, zmysł zapachuPolish
- بوىPashto, Pushto
- cheiro, olfato, cheirarPortuguese
- mutkhiy, q'apayQuechua
- odurar, savurarRomansh
- mirosi, mirosRomanian
- запах, обоняние, ощущать запах, обонять, пахнуть, нюх, чувствовать запах, чуять, нюхатьRussian
- мирис, mirisSerbo-Croatian
- joshë, erëAlbanian
- lukt, lukta, doftaSwedish
- koklamak, kokmak, koku, koku almakTurkish
Get even more translations for smell »
Find a translation for the smell definition in other languages:
Select another language: