Definitions for slavesleɪv
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word slave
a person who is owned by someone
slave, striver, hard worker(noun)
someone who works as hard as a slave
someone entirely dominated by some influence or person
"a slave to fashion"; "a slave to cocaine"; "his mother was his abject slave"
slave, break one's back, buckle down, knuckle down(verb)
work very hard, like a slave
A person who is the property of another person and whose labor and also whose life often is subject to the owner's volition.
A person who is legally obliged by prior contract (oral or written) to work for another, with contractually limited rights to bargain; an indentured servant.
A person who is forced against his/her will to perform, for another person or other persons, sexual acts or other personal services on a regular or continuing basis.
A device that is controlled by another device.
An information worker who has signed a non-compete clause in return for employment.
To work hard.
I was slaving all day over a hot stove.
Origin: From <- sclave <- sclavus <- σκλάβος.
a person who is held in bondage to another; one who is wholly subject to the will of another; one who is held as a chattel; one who has no freedom of action, but whose person and services are wholly under the control of another
one who has lost the power of resistance; one who surrenders himself to any power whatever; as, a slave to passion, to lust, to strong drink, to ambition
a drudge; one who labors like a slave
an abject person; a wretch
to drudge; to toil; to labor as a slave
Slave was an Ohio funk band popular in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Trumpeter Steve Washington and Mark Hicks formed the group in Dayton, Ohio in 1975.
The Roycroft Dictionary
A person with a servile mind, who quickly crooks the pregnant hinges of the knee, that thrift may follow fawning; who gratifies his wants either through cringing flattery or coercion, and who tyrannizes over others whenever he has a chance.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'slave' in Nouns Frequency: #2116
avels, salve, selva, vales
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I am a galley slave to pen and ink.
I am, what i am,i am the slave of allah.
The great artist is a slave to his ideals.
Mannon is the largest slave-holder in the world.
Who dares not speak his free thoughts is a slave.
Images & Illustrations of slave
Translations for slave
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- рабы́ня, рабBelarusian
- роб, роби́няBulgarian
- esclau, esclavaCatalan, Valencian
- otrok, nevolník, nevolníce, otročit, otrokyněCzech
- slave, træl, trælkone, slavindeDanish
- Sklave, Sklavin, Sexsklave, Folgegerät, Sexsklavin, SlaveGerman
- δούλος, σκλάβα, δευτερεύων, υποσυσκευή, σκλάβοςGreek
- virsklavo, sklaviĉo, sklavo, sklavinoEsperanto
- esclavo, esclavaSpanish
- orja, seksiorja, raataaFinnish
- trælur, trællur, trælkonaFaroese
- serf, esclave, serveFrench
- tràillScottish Gaelic
- escravo, escravaGalician
- esklavHaitian Creole
- sklavulo, sklavino, sklavoIdo
- þræla, púla, þrællIcelandic
- schiava, schiavo, sgobbareItalian
- 奴隷, スレーブJapanese
- inussiaqKalaallisut, Greenlandic
- 노예, 奴隸Korean
- servus, serva, sclavus, sclavaLatin
- whakarīrā, mōkai taurekarekaMāori
- роб, робува, робинкаMacedonian
- slavinne, trell, trælkvinne, slave, trellkvinneNorwegian
- slavin, slaafDutch
- slave, trælkvinne, slavinne, trælNorwegian Nynorsk
- sexslave, seksualslaveNorwegian
- niewolnica, niewolnikPolish
- escravo, escrava, mourejarPortuguese
- rob, sclav, servRomanian
- рабы́ня, раба́, раб, нево́льник, нево́льница, ведо́мый, ведо́мое устро́йствоRussian
- isciabu, isciau, iscravu, isclavu, iscrau, sciauSardinian
- робо̀вати, роб, robòvati, robSerbo-Croatian
- otrok, otrokyňaSlovak
- sužnja, suženjSlovene
- skllav, robAlbanian
- slavinna, träl, slav, sexslavinna, slava, sexslavSwedish
- mtumwa, falahiSwahili
- ทาส, ข้าThai
- kul, köleTurkish
- раб, раби́няUkrainian
- người nô lệ, nô lệ, 奴隸Vietnamese
- slafan, hislafan, jislafanVolapük
Get even more translations for slave »
Find a translation for the slave definition in other languages:
Select another language: