Definitions for slackslæk
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word slack
dust consisting of a mixture of small coal fragments and coal dust and dirt that sifts out when coal is passed over a sieve
slump, slack, drop-off, falloff, falling off(noun)
a noticeable deterioration in performance or quality
"the team went into a slump"; "a gradual slack in output"; "a drop-off in attendance"; "a falloff in quality"
slack, slack water(noun)
a stretch of water without current or movement
"suddenly they were in a slack and the water was motionless"
mire, quagmire, quag, morass, slack(noun)
a soft wet area of low-lying land that sinks underfoot
the quality of being loose (not taut)
"he hadn't counted on the slackness of the rope"
a cord or rope or cable that is hanging loosely
"he took up the slack"
not tense or taut
"the old man's skin hung loose and grey"; "slack and wrinkled skin"; "slack sails"; "a slack rope"
flowing with little speed as e.g. at the turning of the tide
lacking in rigor or strictness
"such lax and slipshod ways are no longer acceptable"; "lax in attending classes"; "slack in maintaining discipline"
avoid responsibilities and work, be idle
be inattentive to, or neglect
"He slacks his attention"
release tension on
"slack the rope"
slack, slacken, slack up, relax(verb)
make less active or fast
"He slackened his pace as he got tired"; "Don't relax your efforts now"
slow, slow down, slow up, slack, slacken(verb)
become slow or slower
slake, abate, slack(verb)
make less active or intense
abate, let up, slack off, slack, die away(verb)
become less in amount or intensity
"The storm abated"; "The rain let up after a few hours"
cause to heat and crumble by treatment with water
Small coal; coal dust.
A valley, or small, shallow dell.
The part of anything that hangs loose, having no strain upon it.
The slack of a rope or of a sail.
A tidal marsh or shallow, that periodically fills and drains.
To mitigate; to reduce the strength of.
to procrastinate; to be lazy
to refuse or dislike exerting effort
slack dried hops
Lax; not tense; not hard drawn; not firmly extended.
a slack rope
Weak; not holding fast.
a slack hand
Remiss; backward; not using due diligence or care; not earnest or eager.
slack in duty or service
Not violent, rapid, or pressing.
Business is slack.
small coal; also, coal dust; culm
a valley, or small, shallow dell
lax; not tense; not hard drawn; not firmly extended; as, a slack rope
weak; not holding fast; as, a slack hand
remiss; backward; not using due diligence or care; not earnest or eager; as, slack in duty or service
not violent, rapid, or pressing; slow; moderate; easy; as, business is slack
slackly; as, slack dried hops
the part of anything that hangs loose, having no strain upon it; as, the slack of a rope or of a sail
alt. of Slacken
alt. of Slacken
Origin: [Icel. slakki a slope on a mountain edge.]
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. Space allocated to a disk file but not actually used to store useful information. The techspeak equivalent is ‘internal fragmentation’. Antonym: hole. 2. In the theology of the Church of the SubGenius, a mystical substance or quality that is the prerequisite of all human happiness.Since Unix files are stored compactly, except for the unavoidable wastage in the last block or fragment, it might be said that “Unix has no slack”. See ha ha only serious.
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Being a black female and having my degree, I got some slack.
We're seeing very good demand at the moment, we don't have slack.
He becometh poor that dealeth with a slack hand but the hand of the diligent maketh rich.
Wage growth finally appears to be firming after showing few signs of progress even as slack declined quickly.
The big boys will be at the back, where they take up the slack that nobody else pulls. They're your big, strong horses.
Translations for slack
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- trödeln, faulenzen, faul sein, schlaff, bummelnGerman
- flojo, carbonilla, charco, haraganear, relajarse, carboncillo, flojear, aflojarseSpanish
- löysästi, huolimaton, hiljainen, hiilipöly, notkelma, löysä, velttoilla, viivytellä, huolimattomasti, veltosti, hiilimurska, veltto, notko, kluuvi, vetelehtiä, löysäilläFinnish
- leibideach, ligeanIrish
- tatetate, pūngoheMāori
- tam, week, slak, slecht gemaakt, slap, treuzelenDutch
- лодырничать, лениться, небрежный, слабина, слабый, расслабленный, бездельничать, сачковать, ненатянутыйRussian
- mlohavo, odugovlačiti, opušteno, labavoSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for slack »
Find a translation for the slack definition in other languages:
Select another language: