Definitions for securitysɪˈkyʊər ɪ ti
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word security
the state of being free from danger or injury
"we support the armed services in the name of national security"
defense against financial failure; financial independence
"his pension gave him security in his old age"; "insurance provided protection against loss of wages due to illness"
freedom from anxiety or fear
"the watch dog gave her a feeling of security"
a formal declaration that documents a fact of relevance to finance and investment; the holder has a right to receive interest or dividends
"he held several valuable securities"
property that your creditor can claim in case you default on your obligation
"bankers are reluctant to lend without good security"
security, security department(noun)
a department responsible for the security of the institution's property and workers
"the head of security was a former policeman"
a guarantee that an obligation will be met
security system, security measure, security(noun)
an electrical device that sets off an alarm when someone tries to break in
security, security measures(noun)
measures taken as a precaution against theft or espionage or sabotage etc.
"military security has been stepped up since the recent uprising"
the condition of not being threatened, especially physically, psychologically, emotionally, or financially
something that secures.
an organization or department responsible for providing security by enforcing laws, rules, and regulations as well as maintaining order.
something that secures the fulfillment of an obligation or law.
Freedom from apprehension.
proof of ownership of stocks, bonds or other investment instruments.
property temporarily relinquished to guarantee repayment of a loan
Origin: From securite, from (French: sécurité), from securitas, from securus "safe, secure".
the condition or quality of being secure; secureness
freedom from apprehension, anxiety, or care; confidence of power of safety; hence, assurance; certainty
hence, carelessness; negligence; heedlessness
freedom from risk; safety
that which secures or makes safe; protection; guard; defense
something given, deposited, or pledged, to make certain the fulfillment of an obligation, the performance of a contract, the payment of a debt, or the like; surety; pledge
one who becomes surety for another, or engages himself for the performance of another's obligation
an evidence of debt or of property, as a bond, a certificate of stock, etc.; as, government securities
Security is the degree of resistance to, or protection from, harm. It applies to any vulnerable and valuable asset, such as a person, dwelling, community, nation, or organization. As noted by the Institute for Security and Open Methodologies in the OSSTMM 3, security provides "a form of protection where a separation is created between the assets and the threat." These separations are generically called "controls," and sometimes include changes to the asset or the threat.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
1. Measures taken by a military unit, activity, or installation to protect itself against all acts designed to, or which may, impair its effectiveness. 2. A condition that results from the establishment and maintenance of protective measures that ensure a state of inviolability from hostile acts or influences. 3. With respect to classified matter, the condition that prevents unauthorized persons from having access to official information that is safeguarded in the interests of national security. See also national security.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'security' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #681
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'security' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1405
Rank popularity for the word 'security' in Nouns Frequency: #251
Images & Illustrations of security
Translations for security
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- حِمَايَة, سَلَامَة, أَمَانَة, أَمْنArabic
- seguretatCatalan, Valencian
- cenný papír, bezpečí, ostraha, zajištění, záruka, jistota, zástava, bezpečnost, zabezpečeníCzech
- Sicherheit, Schutz, SicherheitsdienstGerman
- αξία, ασφάλεια, αξιόγραφο, εγγύηση, εχέγγυο, χρηματόγραφοGreek
- seguridad, prenda, documento, confianza, garantía, respaldo, título de propiedad, certificadoSpanish
- turvallisuusosasto, takuu, turva, takaus, turvallisuus, pantti, turvallisuuspalvelu, arvopaperi, vakuusFinnish
- titre, sécurisant, sécuritéFrench
- urras, tèarainteachdScottish Gaelic
- ביטחון, בִּטָחוֹןHebrew
- keamanan, keselamatanIndonesian
- 抵当, 安全, 保証, セキュリティー, 証券, 保護, 担保, 有価証券Japanese
- დაცულობა, უსაფრთხოებაGeorgian
- និរន្តរាយ, សន្តិសុខKhmer
- ئهمانهت, ئاسایش, ئاشتیKurdish
- си́гурност, бе́збедност, обезбедувањеMacedonian
- аюулгүй байдалMongolian
- onderpand, veiligheidsdienst, zekerheid, veiligheid, beveiligingDutch
- segurança, garantiaPortuguese
- siguranță, securitateRomanian
- надёжность, це́нная бума́га, защи́та, поручи́тельство, гара́нтия, безопа́сность, [[слу́жба]] [[безопасность, безопасностьRussian
- jamstvo, osiguranje, garancija, сигурност, zaštita, vrijednosni papir, sigurnostSerbo-Croatian
- bezpečnosť, bezpečieSlovak
- vrednostni papir, varnostSlovene
- säkerhetsåtgärd, säkerhet, trygghet, värdepapper, säkerhetstjänst, trygghetskänsla, vaktbolag, garanti, skydd, borgenSwedish
- emniyet, güvenlilik, güvenlik güçleri, güvenlikTurkish
- xavfsizlik, bexatarlikUzbek
- an toànVietnamese
Get even more translations for security »
Find a translation for the security definition in other languages:
Select another language: