Definitions for quotekwoʊt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word quote
quotation mark, quote, inverted comma(noun)
a punctuation mark used to attribute the enclosed text to someone else
quotation, quote, citation(verb)
a passage or expression that is quoted or cited
repeat a passage from
"He quoted the Bible to her"
name the price of
"quote prices for cars"
refer to for illustration or proof
"He said he could quote several instances of this behavior"
put quote marks around
"Here the author is quoting his colleague"
A quotation, statement attributed to someone else.
A quotation mark.
A summary of work to be done with a set price.
After going over the hefty quotes, the board decided it was cheaper to have the project executed by its own staff
To refer to (part of) a speech that has been made by someone else.
To prepare a summary of work to be done and set a price.
To name the current price, notably of a financial security.
To indicate verbally or by equivalent means the start of a quotation.
To observe, to take account of.
Origin: Recorded since 1387 "to mark (a book) with chapter numbers or marginal references", from coter, from Medieval Latin quotare "to distinguish by numbers, number chapters", itself from quotus "which, what number (in sequence)," from quot "how many" (related to quis "who"). The sense developed via "to give as a reference, to cite as an authority" to "to copy out exact words" (since 1680); the business sense "to state the price of a commodity" (1866) revives the etymological meaning. The noun, in the sense of "quotation," is attested from 1885; see also usage note, below.
to cite, as a passage from some author; to name, repeat, or adduce, as a passage from an author or speaker, by way of authority or illustration; as, to quote a passage from Homer
to cite a passage from; to name as the authority for a statement or an opinion; as, to quote Shakespeare
to name the current price of
to notice; to observe; to examine
to set down, as in writing
a note upon an author
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
kwōt, v.t. to repeat the words of any one: to adduce for authority or illustration: to give the current price of: to enclose within quotation marks: (Shak.) to set down in writing.—v.i. to make a quotation.—adj. Quō′table, that may be quoted.—ns. Quō′tableness, Quōtabil′ity.—adv. Quō′tably.—ns. Quōtā′tion, act of quoting: that which is quoted: the current price of anything; Quōtā′tion-mark, one of the marks used to note the beginning and the end of a quotation—generally consisting of two inverted commas at the beginning, and two apostrophes at the end of a quotation; but a single comma and a single apostrophe are frequently used; Quō′ter. [O. Fr. quoter, to number—Low L. quotāre, to divide into chapters and verses—L. quotus, of what number?—quot, how many?]
British National Corpus
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'quote' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2796
Rank popularity for the word 'quote' in Verbs Frequency: #444
The numerical value of quote in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of quote in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Yes, that's my quote.
Sooner or later we all quote our mothers.
I quote others in order to better express myself.
One must be a wise reader to quote wisely and well.
Every right quote is a golden stair to enlightenment!
Images & Illustrations of quote
Translations for quote
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- علامة اقتباس, استشهد, اقتباس, استشهاد, علامة تنصيص, سعرArabic
- citacióCatalan, Valencian
- citovat, kótovatCzech
- Zitat, zitieren, Preisangebot machen, bemerken, berücksichtigen, anbietenGerman
- παράθεμα, χωρίο, αναφέρω, παραθέτω, προσφορά, τιμή, επικαλούμαι, παράθεση, περικοπή, εισαγωγικό, εισαγωγικά, προσφέρω, μνημονεύωGreek
- citi, citaĵo, citiloEsperanto
- cotizar, cita, cotización, citarSpanish
- osundama, osundusEstonian
- lainaus, sitaatti, siteerata, tarjota, lainausmerkki, tarjous, lainataFinnish
- deviser, coter, devis, citer, cotation, citationFrench
- הצעת מחיר, לצטטHebrew
- vitna íIcelandic
- 引用, 鉤括弧, 二重鉤括弧, 二重引用符, 「, 」, 『, 』Japanese
- memetik kataMalay
- hermetegn, anførselstegnNorwegian
- aanhalingsteken, bestek, quoteren, citaat, prijsopgave, aanhalen, citerenDutch
- hermeteiknNorwegian Nynorsk
- sitat, sitereNorwegian
- cytat, cudzysłów, wyceniać, cytowaćPolish
- frase, citar, orçar, cotarPortuguese
- цитата, кавычка, «, », ссылаться, котировка, давать расценку, кавычки, цитировать, предложение цены, назначенная цена, назначать ценуRussian
- navod, citatSerbo-Croatian
- anbud, offert, citera, citat, citationstecken, offereraSwedish
- söz, vecize, alintiTurkish
Get even more translations for quote »
Find a translation for the quote definition in other languages:
Select another language: