Definitions for quitekwaɪt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word quite
to a degree (not used with a negative)
"quite tasty"; "quite soon"; "quite ill"; "quite rich"
to the greatest extent; completely
"you're quite right"; "she was quite alone"; "was quite mistaken"; "quite the opposite"; "not quite finished"; "did not quite make it"
quite, quite a, quite an(adverb)
of an unusually noticeable or exceptional or remarkable kind (not used with a negative)
"her victory was quite something"; "she's quite a girl"; "quite a film"; "quite a walk"; "we've had quite an afternoon"
actually or truly or to an extreme
"was quite a sudden change"; "it's quite the thing to do"; "quite the rage"; "Quite so!"
completely; wholly; entirely; totally; perfectly; as, the work is not quite done; the object is quite accomplished; to be quite mistaken
to a great extent or degree; very; very much; considerably
Origin: [F. quitte discharged, free, clear; cf. OF. quitement freely, frankly, entirely. See Quit, a.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
kwīt (Spens.). Same as Quit.
kwīt, adv. completely: wholly: entirely.—Quite a little, a good few: considerable; Quite so, a phrase denoting assent in conversation. [Merely an adv. use of the adj. quit.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'quite' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #261
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'quite' in Written Corpus Frequency: #141
Rank popularity for the word 'quite' in Adverbs Frequency: #35
The numerical value of quite in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of quite in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
It was quite a mess.
They are quite strong.
He was quite a character.
All art is quite useless.
I ’m not quite there yet.
Images & Illustrations of quite
Translations for quite
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- totalment, bastant, exactament, completament, verdaderamentCatalan, Valencian
- naprosto, úplně, dost, zcela, docelaCzech
- recht, ganz, ziemlich, völligGerman
- bastante, considerablemente, completamenteSpanish
- täysin, melko, kokonaan, kohtalaisen, kovasti, varsin, paljon, sangen, aivanFinnish
- tout à fait, assez, complètement, vraimentFrench
- ar fadIrish
- carScottish Gaelic
- काफ़ी, बिलकुलHindi
- nagyon, meglehetősen, teljesenHungarian
- 丸で, かなり, すっかりJapanese
- 완전히, 꽤, 상당히Korean
- visai, ļoti, īsti, glužiLatvian
- tamelijk, aardig, volkomen, bestDutch
- ganske, temmelig, heltNorwegian
- całkiem, całkowiciePolish
- totalmente, razoavelmente, bem, completamente, bastantePortuguese
- изрядно, вовсе, весьма, полностью, вполне, совсем, довольноRussian
Get even more translations for quite »
Find a translation for the quite definition in other languages:
Select another language: