Definitions for questionˈkwɛs tʃən
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word question
question, inquiry, enquiry, query, interrogation(noun)
an instance of questioning
"there was a question about my training"; "we made inquiries of all those who were present"
the subject matter at issue
"the question of disease merits serious discussion"; "under the head of minor Roman poets"
question, interrogation, interrogative, interrogative sentence(noun)
a sentence of inquiry that asks for a reply
"he asked a direct question"; "he had trouble phrasing his interrogations"
doubt, dubiousness, doubtfulness, question(noun)
uncertainty about the truth or factuality or existence of something
"the dubiousness of his claim"; "there is no question about the validity of the enterprise"
a formal proposal for action made to a deliberative assembly for discussion and vote
"he made a motion to adjourn"; "she called for the question"
an informal reference to a marriage proposal
"he was ready to pop the question"
question, oppugn, call into question(verb)
challenge the accuracy, probity, or propriety of
"We must question your judgment in this matter"
pose a series of questions to
"The suspect was questioned by the police"; "We questioned the survivor about the details of the explosion"
pose a question
conduct an interview in television, newspaper, and radio reporting
place in doubt or express doubtful speculation
"I wonder whether this was the right thing to do"; "she wondered whether it would snow tonight"
A sentence, phrase or word which asks for information, reply or response; an interrogative.
What is your question?
A subject or topic for consideration or investigation.
The question of seniority will be discussed at the meeting.
There was a question of which material to use.
A doubt or challenge about the truth or accuracy of a matter.
His claim to the property has come under question.
A proposal to a meeting as a topic for deliberation.
I move that the question be put to a vote.
To ask questions of; interrogate; enquire; ask for information.
To raise doubts about; have doubts about.
the act of asking; interrogation; inquiry; as, to examine by question and answer
discussion; debate; hence, objection; dispute; doubt; as, the story is true beyond question; he obeyed without question
examination with reference to a decisive result; investigation; specifically, a judicial or official investigation; also, examination under torture
that which is asked; inquiry; interrogatory; query
hence, a subject of investigation, examination, or debate; theme of inquiry; matter to be inquired into; as, a delicate or doubtful question
talk; conversation; speech; speech
to ask questions; to inquire
to argue; to converse; to dispute
to inquire of by asking questions; to examine by interrogatories; as, to question a witness
to doubt of; to be uncertain of; to query
to raise a question about; to call in question; to make objection to
to talk to; to converse with
Origin: [Cf. F. questionner. See Question, n.]
A question is a linguistic expression used to make a request for information, or the request made using such an expression. The information requested may be provided in the form of an answer. Questions have developed a range of uses that go beyond the simple eliciting of information from another party. Rhetorical questions, for example, are used to make a point, and are not expected to be answered. Many languages have special grammatical forms for questions. However questions can also be asked without using these interrogative grammatical structures – for example one may use an imperative, as in "Tell me your name". For detailed information about the grammar of question formation, see Interrogative, and for English specifically, English grammar: Questions.
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
Is marriage a failure?
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'question' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #394
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'question' in Written Corpus Frequency: #315
Rank popularity for the word 'question' in Nouns Frequency: #45
Rank popularity for the word 'question' in Verbs Frequency: #473
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of question
Translations for question
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- سؤال, مسألةArabic
- запитване, питане, въпро́сBulgarian
- དོགས་གནདTibetan Standard
- qüestió, preguntaCatalan, Valencian
- otázka, téma, zpochybnitCzech
- Frage, Anfrage, Zweifel, hinterfragen, infrage stellen, fragen, bezweifeln, in Frage stellen, anzweifeln, befragenGerman
- απορία, ερώτημα, ερώτηση, ανάκριση, αμφισβητώGreek
- dubo, demando, dubiEsperanto
- cuestión, pregunta, tema, duda, asunto, tópico, moción, consultar, poner en tela de juicio, preguntar, cuestionar, dudar, interrogarSpanish
- itaun, galderaBasque
- پرسش, سؤال, مسئلهPersian
- kysymys, kyse, kidutus, asia, epäilys, kysyä, udella, kuulustella, kyseenalaistaaFinnish
- question, motion, doute, douter, mettre en doute, mettre en question, remettre en question, questionner, interrogerFrench
- ceistScottish Gaelic
- pregunta, cuestiónGalician
- प्रश्न, सवालHindi
- kérdés, kérdőre von, vallat, kikérdez, faggatHungarian
- հարց, հարցաքննելArmenian
- soal, pertanyaanIndonesian
- questione, domanda, mettere in dubbioItalian
- კითხვა, საკითხიGeorgian
- сұрау, сұрақKazakh
- 質問, 질문Korean
- rogatio, sciscitor, scisco, quaero, scitorLatin
- FroLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- urupounamu, pātai, marau, uiMāori
- прашање, сомневање, сомнение, сомнеж, оспорува, става под прашање, прашува, испрашува, распрашуваMacedonian
- pertanyaan, soalan, tanya, bertanyaMalay
- mistoqsija, kwistjoniMaltese
- ပုစ္ဆာ, အမေးBurmese
- sette spørsmålstegn ved, stille spørsmål vedNorwegian
- vraag, motie, kwestie, thema, twijfel, ondervragen, in vraag stellenDutch
- stille spørsmål ved, setje spørsmålsteikn vedNorwegian Nynorsk
- naʼídíkidNavajo, Navaho
- фарстOssetian, Ossetic
- ਸਵਾਲPanjabi, Punjabi
- pytanie, kwestia, pytać, kwestionowaćPolish
- پوښتنهPashto, Pushto
- questão, tema, pergunta, questionarPortuguese
- întrebare, întrebaRomanian
- вопро́с, допра́шивать, расспроси́ть, расспра́шивать, допроси́тьRussian
- пи́та̄ње, pítānjeSerbo-Croatian
- ප්රශ්නයSinhala, Sinhalese
- fråga, spörjning, spörsmål, tvivel, ifrågasättaSwedish
- савол, пурсишTajik
- sowal, soragTurkmen
- سوراق, سوئلاUyghur, Uighur
- پرشن, سوالUrdu
- soʻroq, savolUzbek
- câu hỏiVietnamese
Get even more translations for question »
Find a translation for the question definition in other languages:
Select another language: