Definitions for quenchkwɛntʃ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word quench
quench, slake, allay, assuage(verb)
"The cold water quenched his thirst"
snuff out, blow out, extinguish, quench(verb)
put out, as of fires, flames, or lights
"Too big to be extinguished at once, the forest fires at best could be contained"; "quench the flames"; "snuff out the candles"
electronics: suppress (sparking) when the current is cut off in an inductive circuit, or suppress (an oscillation or discharge) in a component or device
squelch, quell, quench(verb)
suppress or crush completely
"squelch any sign of dissent"; "quench a rebellion"
reduce the degree of (luminescence or phosphorescence) in (excited molecules or a material) by adding a suitable substance
cool (hot metal) by plunging into cold water or other liquid
The abnormal termination of operation of a superconducting magnet, occurring when part of the superconducting coil enters the normal (resistive) state.
To satisfy, especially an actual or figurative thirst.
The library quenched her thirst for knowledge.
To extinguish or put out (as a fire or light.)
Then the MacManus went down. The sudden quench of the white light was how I knew it. -- Saul Bellow
To cool rapidly by dipping into a bath of coolant, as a blacksmith quenching hot iron.
The swordsmith quenched the sword in an oil bath so that it wouldn't shatter.
to extinguish; to overwhelm; to make an end of; -- said of flame and fire, of things burning, and figuratively of sensations and emotions; as, to quench flame; to quench a candle; to quench thirst, love, hate, etc
to cool suddenly, as heated steel, in tempering
to become extinguished; to go out; to become calm or cool
Quench is the largest ultraviolet water filtration company in the United States, serving more than 20,000 businesses with over 40,000 Quench bottleless systems.
Translations for quench
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- sadollarCatalan, Valencian
- stillen, abkühlen, löschenGerman
- apagar, matar la sed, templar, saciarSpanish
- karkaista, sammuttaaFinnish
- apaiser, étancher, éteindre, tremperFrench
- cosc, múch, fuaraighIrish
- caisg, bàthScottish Gaelic
- moogh, eastManx
- csillapít, elolt, lehűtHungarian
- temperare, abbeverare, estinguere, appagareItalian
- ស្កប់ស្កល់, បន្ធូរ, ឆ្អែតKhmer
- blussen, afschrikken, lessenDutch
- slukke, bråkjøleNorwegian
- [[saciar]]/[[matar]] [[a]] [[sede]], apagar, resfriar, temperarPortuguese
- тушить, потушить, утолять, утолить, ([[быстро]]) [[охлаждать]]Russian
- söndürmek, soğutmak, gidermekTurkish
Get even more translations for quench »
Find a translation for the quench definition in other languages:
Select another language: