Definitions for problemˈprɒb ləm
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word problem
a state of difficulty that needs to be resolved
"she and her husband are having problems"; "it is always a job to contact him"; "urban problems such as traffic congestion and smog"
a question raised for consideration or solution
"our homework consisted of ten problems to solve"
a source of difficulty
"one trouble after another delayed the job"; "what's the problem?"
A difficulty that has to be resolved or dealt with.
A question to be answered, schoolwork exercise.
A puzzling circumstance.
a question proposed for solution; a matter stated for examination or proof; hence, a matter difficult of solution or settlement; a doubtful case; a question involving doubt
anything which is required to be done; as, in geometry, to bisect a line, to draw a perpendicular; or, in algebra, to find an unknown quantity
Origin: [F. problme, L. problema, fr. Gr. anything thrown forward, a question proposed for solution, fr. to throw or lay before; before, forward + to throw. Cf. Parable. ]
A problem is the relation between human will and reality. When will and reality do not coincide, the resolution of this gap between reality and will is the solution of the problem. A problem implies a desired outcome coupled with an apparent deficiency, doubt or inconsistency that prevents the outcome from taking place.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'problem' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #310
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'problem' in Written Corpus Frequency: #298
Rank popularity for the word 'problem' in Nouns Frequency: #23
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of problem
Translations for problem
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مشكلة, مسألةArabic
- poelladenn, kudennBreton
- problemaCatalan, Valencian
- Übung, ProblemGerman
- lío, problema, bronca, embrollo, ejercicio, dificultadSpanish
- mõistatus, kitsikus, harjutus, mure, probleem, küsimus, takistusEstonian
- arazo, buruhauste, buruketaBasque
- مشکل, مسئلهPersian
- probleemi, harjoitustehtävä, ongelma, harjoitus, vaikeusFinnish
- duilgheadas, staingScottish Gaelic
- gond, probléma, feladat, bajHungarian
- հարց, խնդիրArmenian
- ამოცანა, პრობლემაGeorgian
- uzdevums, problēmaLatvian
- проблем, задачаMacedonian
- masalah, kemusykilan, kesulitanMalay
- oefening, probleemDutch
- problemNorwegian Nynorsk
- utfordring, oppgaveNorwegian
- problem, zadanie, kłopotPolish
- problema, exercícioPortuguese
- задание, проблема, задачаRussian
- jednadžba, problem, проблем, zadatakSerbo-Croatian
- çështje, problemAlbanian
- masaibu, tatizoSwahili
- ปัญหา, เรื่อง, โจทย์Thai
- vấn đềVietnamese
Get even more translations for problem »
Find a translation for the problem definition in other languages:
Select another language: