Definitions for prime minister
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word prime minister
Prime Minister, PM, premier(noun)
the person who holds the position of head of the government in the United Kingdom
chancellor, premier, prime minister(noun)
the person who is head of state (in several countries)
In a parliamentary democracy, the chief member of the cabinet and head of the government; usually the leader of the majority party.
Origin: Latin primus + minister
A prime minister is the most senior minister of cabinet in the executive branch of government in a parliamentary system. In many systems, the prime minister selects and may dismiss other members of the cabinet, and allocates posts to members within the government. In most systems, the prime minister is the presiding member and chairman of the cabinet. In a minority of systems, notably in semi-presidential systems of government, a prime minister is the official who is appointed to manage the civil service and execute the directives of the head of state. In parliamentary systems fashioned after the Westminster system, the prime minister is the presiding and actual head of the government and head of the executive branch. In such systems, the head of state or the head of state's official representative usually holds a largely ceremonial position, although often with reserve powers. The prime minister is often, but not always, a member of parliament and is expected with other ministers to ensure the passage of bills through the legislature. In some monarchies the monarch may also exercise executive powers which are constitutionally vested in the crown and may be exercised without the approval of parliament.
The numerical value of prime minister in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of prime minister in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I think you have been an unreal prime minister.
You have to support your prime minister, your boss.
The prime minister is now resorting to scaremongering.
The prime minister didn't offer any viable alternatives.
To appoint Sigurður Ingi as Prime Minister is no solution.
Images & Illustrations of prime minister
Translations for prime minister
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- رئيس الوزراءArabic
- baş nazirAzerbaijani
- прэм'ер-міністр, прэм'ерBelarusian
- премиер, министър-председателBulgarian
- primer ministreCatalan, Valencian
- premiér, ministerský předsedaCzech
- premierminister, statsministerDanish
- Premierminister, PremierministerinGerman
- presidente de Gobierno, primer ministroSpanish
- نخست وزیرPersian
- premier ministreFrench
- prìomhairScottish Gaelic
- primeiro ministroGalician
- ראש ממשלהHebrew
- प्रधान मंत्रीHindi
- prime ministroInterlingua
- perdana menteriIndonesian
- primo ministroItalian
- នាយករដ្ឋមន្ត្រី, រដ្ឋមន្ត្រីប្រមុខ, មន្ត្រីប្រមុខKhmer
- 總理, 수상, 총리, 首相Korean
- ministras pirmininkas, premjeras, premjerė, ministrė pirmininkėLithuanian
- प्रधान मंत्रीMarathi
- Perdana MenteriMalay
- Prim, Prim MinistruMaltese
- minister-president, eerste minister, premierDutch
- statsministerNorwegian Nynorsk
- primeiro ministroPortuguese
- prim ministruRomanian
- премьер-министр, премьерRussian
- प्रधान मंत्रीSanskrit
- премијер, premijerSerbo-Croatian
- predsedkyňa vlády, premiér, predseda vlády, premiérkaSlovak
- premier, premierkaSlovene
- statsminister, premiärministerSwedish
- ప్రధాని, ప్రధాన మంత్రిTelugu
- premýer ministrTurkmen
- punong ministroTagalog
- прем'єр-міністр, прем'єрUkrainian
- thủ tướngVietnamese
Get even more translations for prime minister »
Find a translation for the prime minister definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these prime minister definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"prime minister." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2016. Web. 27 May 2016. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/prime minister>.