Definitions for playgroundˈpleɪˌgraʊnd
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word playground
resort area, playground, vacation spot(noun)
an area where many people go for recreation
yard consisting of an outdoor area for children's play
A large open space to play on, usually for children.
A yard or other open-air space on a school campus where the children can play, especially during breaks
Small area with dedicated play equipment, usually for children
The city park playgrounds offer various slides, tubes and swings.
Any physical or metaphysical space in which a person or organization has free rein to do as they please.
The exclusive tropical island was a millionaire's playground.
Origin: to play + ground
a piece of ground used for recreation; as, the playground of a school
A playground, playpark, or play area is a place with a specific design for children to be able to play there. It may be indoors but is typically outdoors. Modern playgrounds often have recreational equipment such as the seesaw, merry-go-round, swingset, slide, jungle gym, chin-up bars, sandbox, spring rider, monkey bars, overhead ladder, trapeze rings, playhouses, and mazes, many of which help children develop physical coordination, strength, and flexibility, as well as providing recreation and enjoyment. Common in modern playgrounds are play structures that link many different pieces of equipment. Playgrounds often also have facilities for playing informal games of adult sports, such as a baseball diamond, a skating arena, a basketball court, or a tether ball. Public playground equipment refers to equipment intended for use in the play areas of parks, schools, child care facilities, institutions, multiple family dwellings, restaurants, resorts, and recreational developments, and other areas of public use. A type of playground called a playscape is designed to provide a safe environment for play in a natural setting.
Images & Illustrations of playground
Translations for playground
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- tumleplads, legeplads, sandkasseDanish
- Spielwiese, Spielplatz, SchulhofGerman
- παιχνιδότοπος, παιδική χαρά, παιδότοπος, αυλήGreek
- juegos infantiles, parque infantil, campo libre, parque de recreo, patio de recreoSpanish
- زمین بازیPersian
- terrain de jeu, cour de récréationFrench
- גן שעשועיםHebrew
- खेल का मैदानHindi
- מגרש משחקיםHebrew
- papa tākaroMāori
- leikeplass, lekeplassNorwegian
- speeltuin, speelplein, speelterrein, speelplaatsDutch
- leikeplassNorwegian Nynorsk
- lekeplass, skolegårdNorwegian
- plac zabawPolish
- parquinho, parquePortuguese
- teren de joc, loc de joacăRomanian
- игровая площадка, детская площадка, школьный дворRussian
- lekpark, skolgård, lekplatsSwedish
- deneme tahtası, oyun alanı, oyun sahası, okul bahçesiTurkish
Get even more translations for playground »
Find a translation for the playground definition in other languages:
Select another language: