a person who participates in or is skilled at some game
musician, instrumentalist, player(noun)
someone who plays a musical instrument (as a profession)
actor, histrion, player, thespian, role player(noun)
a theatrical performer
a person who pursues a number of different social and sexual partners simultaneously
an important participant (as in a business deal)
"he was a major player in setting up the corporation"
One who plays any game or sport.
An actor in a dramatic play.
One who plays on a musical instrument.
One who is playful, given to games and other amusement; one without serious aims; an idler; a trifler.
A gamer; a gamester.
A person who plays the field rather than having a long-term sexual relationship.
An electronic device that plays various audio and video media, such as CD player.
A software application that plays various audio and video formats.
of something that "plays" itself, like certain automated devices
Origin: From playere, from plegere, equivalent to .
one who plays, or amuses himself; one without serious aims; an idler; a trifler
one who plays any game
a dramatic actor
one who plays on an instrument of music
a gamester; a gambler
Player is an American rock band that made their mark during the late 1970s. The group scored a few US Hot 100 hits, three of which went into the Top 40; two of those single releases went Top 10, including the No. 1 hit "Baby Come Back", written by group members Peter Beckett and J.C. Crowley.
Song lyrics by player -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by player on the Lyrics.com website.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'player' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1832
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'player' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2425
Rank popularity for the word 'player' in Nouns Frequency: #305
The numerical value of player in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of player in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I'm also an avid chess player, and I have aspirations of eventually being a titled player one day.
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage And then is heard no more it is a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying Nothing.
When the sun sets beautifully, other beauties rise. Nature is a theatre; when one great player leaves the scene, another great player immediately enters. The play always continues excellently.
It was tough - the weather, the conditions and playing against a high-ranked player, everything was tough, but I was motivated - I knew if I won that I would get an even better opportunity to play a better player.
If you can get a player who is undervalued, you are getting performance in excess of contract, and that's kind of the name of the game, i don't need to be a great player - I need to be a cost-effective good player.
Images & Illustrations of player
Translations for player
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- لاعِب, مشغلArabic
- lojtar, oyunçuAzerbaijani
- jugadorCatalan, Valencian
- herec, hráč, přehrávačCzech
- spiller, skuespiller, musiker, spillemandDanish
- παίκτρια, ηθοποιός, μουσικός, παίκτηςGreek
- jugadora, jugadorSpanish
- peluri, soitto-ohjelma, pelaaja, pelimies, näyttelijä, pleijeri, soittaja, soitinFinnish
- joueur, musicien, joueuse, lecteur, fainéant, fainéante, acteur, musicienne, actriceFrench
- imreoir, seinnteoirIrish
- xogador, xogadoraGalician
- giocatore, lettoreItalian
- 俳優, プレーヤー, 芸人, 奏者, ギャンブラー, 博徒, 選手Japanese
- muzîkjen, yarîker, lîstikvan, ace, sazbend, qumarker, یاریکهرKurdish
- speler, speelvogel, vertolker, player, bespeler, gokkerDutch
- spiller, skuespiller, musikerNorwegian
- naanéhígíí, naanéhéNavajo, Navaho
- jogaire, jogadorOccitan
- gracz, zawodnik, muzykPolish
- tocador, leitor, ator, brincalhão, player, apostador, jogadorPortuguese
- giujeader, giuieder, giuveder, giugadur, giovaderRomansh
- interpret, leneș, actriță, solist instrumentist, jucător, muzician, jucători, actorRomanian
- музыкант, плеер, исполнитель, проигрыватель, бездельник, лицедей, игрок, лентяйRussian
- giogadore, giogadori, zocadoreSardinian
- svirač, glùmica, sivrač, ìgrāč, izvođač, glúmac, sviràčica, kȍckār, igràčicaSerbo-Croatian
- muiker, musikant, spelare, skådespelareSwedish
- çalgıcı, oyunbaz, oyuncu, kumarcı, oynatıcıTurkish
Get even more translations for player »
Find a translation for the player definition in other languages:
Select another language: