Definitions for playerˈpleɪ ər
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word player
a person who participates in or is skilled at some game
musician, instrumentalist, player(noun)
someone who plays a musical instrument (as a profession)
actor, histrion, player, thespian, role player(noun)
a theatrical performer
a person who pursues a number of different social and sexual partners simultaneously
an important participant (as in a business deal)
"he was a major player in setting up the corporation"
One who plays any game or sport.
An actor in a dramatic play.
One who plays on a musical instrument.
One who is playful, given to games and other amusement; one without serious aims; an idler; a trifler.
A gamer; a gamester.
A person who plays the field rather than having a long-term sexual relationship.
An electronic device that plays various audio and video media, such as CD player.
A software application that plays various audio and video formats.
of something that "plays" itself, like certain automated devices
Origin: From playere, from plegere, equivalent to .
one who plays, or amuses himself; one without serious aims; an idler; a trifler
one who plays any game
a dramatic actor
one who plays on an instrument of music
a gamester; a gambler
Player is an American rock band that made their mark during the late 1970s. The group scored a few US Hot 100 hits, three of which went into the Top 40; two of those single releases went Top 10, including the No. 1 hit "Baby Come Back", written by group members Peter Beckett and J.C. Crowley.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'player' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1832
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'player' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2425
Rank popularity for the word 'player' in Nouns Frequency: #305
The numerical value of player in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of player in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Tony Gwynn was named player of the year for April.
Sometimes, he likes to think he's a midfield player.
Was I the best player on the field today? maybe, maybe.
The better player always gets the benefit of the doubt.
The UAE has been the real central player in the ground war.
Images & Illustrations of player
Translations for player
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- لاعِب, مشغلArabic
- lojtar, oyunçuAzerbaijani
- jugadorCatalan, Valencian
- herec, hráč, přehrávačCzech
- spiller, skuespiller, musiker, spillemandDanish
- παίκτρια, ηθοποιός, μουσικός, παίκτηςGreek
- jugadora, jugadorSpanish
- peluri, soitto-ohjelma, pelaaja, pelimies, näyttelijä, pleijeri, soittaja, soitinFinnish
- joueur, musicien, joueuse, lecteur, fainéant, fainéante, acteur, musicienne, actriceFrench
- imreoir, seinnteoirIrish
- xogador, xogadoraGalician
- giocatore, lettoreItalian
- 俳優, プレーヤー, 芸人, 奏者, ギャンブラー, 博徒, 選手Japanese
- muzîkjen, yarîker, lîstikvan, ace, sazbend, qumarker, یاریکهرKurdish
- speler, speelvogel, vertolker, player, bespeler, gokkerDutch
- spiller, skuespiller, musikerNorwegian
- naanéhígíí, naanéhéNavajo, Navaho
- jogaire, jogadorOccitan
- gracz, zawodnik, muzykPolish
- tocador, leitor, ator, brincalhão, player, apostador, jogadorPortuguese
- giujeader, giuieder, giuveder, giugadur, giovaderRomansh
- interpret, leneș, actriță, solist instrumentist, jucător, muzician, jucători, actorRomanian
- музыкант, плеер, исполнитель, проигрыватель, бездельник, лицедей, игрок, лентяйRussian
- giogadore, giogadori, zocadoreSardinian
- svirač, glùmica, sivrač, ìgrāč, izvođač, glúmac, sviràčica, kȍckār, igràčicaSerbo-Croatian
- muiker, musikant, spelare, skådespelareSwedish
- çalgıcı, oyunbaz, oyuncu, kumarcı, oynatıcıTurkish
Get even more translations for player »
Find a translation for the player definition in other languages:
Select another language: