Definitions for perseveranceˌpɜr səˈvɪər əns
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word perseverance
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
per•se•ver•ance*ˌpɜr səˈvɪər əns(n.)
steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., esp. in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.
* Syn: perseverance , persistence , tenacity imply determined continuance in a state or in a course of action. perseverance suggests effort maintained in spite of difficulties or long-continued application; it is used in a favorable sense: The scientist's perseverance finally paid off in a coveted prize.persistence , which may be used in a favorable or unfavorable sense, implies steadfast, unremitting continuance in spite of opposition or protest: an annoying persistence in a belief.tenacity is a dogged and determined holding on: the stubborn tenacity of a salesman.
Origin of perseverance:
1300–50; ME perseveraunce < MF perseverance < L persevērantia. See persevere , -ance
doggedness, perseverance, persistence, persistency, tenacity, tenaciousness, pertinacity(noun)
perseverance, persistence, perseveration(noun)
the act of persisting or persevering; continuing or repeating behavior
"his perseveration continued to the point where it was no longer appropriate"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
perseverance(noun)ˌpɜr səˈvɪər əns
determination to keep trying despite difficulties
To succeed in show business you need talent and perseverance.
continuing in a course of action without regard to discouragement, opposition or previous failure.
persistent determination to adhere to a plan of direction; insistence.
the act of persevering; persistence in anything undertaken; continued pursuit or prosecution of any business, or enterprise begun
continuance in a state of grace until it is succeeded by a state of glory; sometimes called final perseverance, and the perseverance of the saints. See Calvinism
Perseverance is the second studio release and the major-label debut by the American Metalcore band Hatebreed. It was released in 2002 by Universal Records. "I Will Be Heard" is featured in the movie xXx and on its soundtrack.
Translations for perseverance
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
- مُواظَبَه، مُثابَرَه علىArabic
- perseverançaPortuguese (BR)
- die BeharrlichkeitGerman
- vedbliven; udholdenhedDanish
- سر سختیFarsi
- अध्यवसाय, दृढ़ताHindi
- upornost, postojanostCroatian
- atkaklumas, nuolatinės pastangosLithuanian
- utholdenhet, standhaftighetNorwegian
- سر سختیPersian
- ټينګار، اصرارPashto
- uthållighet, ståndaktighetSwedish
- sebat, azimTurkish
- 不屈不撓Chinese (Trad.)
- наполегливість, завзятістьUkrainian
- ثابت قدميUrdu
- lòng kiên trìVietnamese
- 不屈不挠Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for perseverance »
Find a translation for the perseverance definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these perseverance definitions with the community:
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"perseverance." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2014. Web. 18 Sep. 2014. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/perseverance>.