Definitions for pedigreeˈpɛd ɪˌgri
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word pedigree
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
an ancestral line; lineage; ancestry.
a genealogical record, esp. of a purebred animal.
distinguished or pure ancestry.
(adj.)having established purebred ancestry:
a pedigree collie.
* Syn: pedigree , genealogy refer to an account of ancestry. A pedigree is a table or chart recording a line of ancestors, either of persons or (more commonly) of animals, as horses, cattle, and dogs; in the case of animals, such a table is used as proof of superior qualities: a detailed pedigree. A genealogy is an account of the descent of a person or family traced through a series of generations, usu. from the first known ancestor: a genealogy that includes a king.
Origin of pedigree:
1375–1425; late ME pedegru < AF; MF pie de grue lit., foot of (a) crane, a fanciful way of describing the appearance of the lines of a genealogical chart
lineage, line, line of descent, descent, bloodline, blood line, blood, pedigree, ancestry, origin, parentage, stemma, stock(noun)
the descendants of one individual
"his entire lineage has been warriors"
line of descent of a purebred animal
ancestry of a purebred animal
pedigree(a), pedigreed, pureblood, pureblooded, thoroughbred(adj)
having a list of ancestors as proof of being a purebred animal
A chart, list or record of ancestors, to show breeding, especially distinguished breeding.
Good breeding or ancestry.
A history or provenance.
Having a pedigree.
Origin: From pe de gru, a variant of Old French , from Latin pedem + gruem.
a line of ancestors; descent; lineage; genealogy; a register or record of a line of ancestors
a record of the lineage or strain of an animal, as of a horse
U.S. National Library of Medicine
The record of descent or ancestry, particularly of a particular condition or trait, indicating individual family members, their relationships, and their status with respect to the trait or condition.
Translations for pedigree
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
a list of the ancestors from whom a person or animal is descended
a dog's pedigree.
- genealogia/pedigreePortuguese (BR)
- der StammbaumGerman
- γενεαλογικό δένδροGreek
- pedigrí, linajeSpanish
- شجره نامهFarsi
- שַלשֶלֶת יוֹחֲסִיןHebrew
- वंशावली, वंशवृक्षHindi
- pedigre, rodovnikCroatian
- genealogia; pedigreeItalian
- genealogija, kilmėLithuanian
- ģenealoģija, radurakstiLatvian
- stamboom, stamboekDutch
- شجره نامهPersian
- سجره ( شجره )، نسب نامهPashto
- pedigree; descendenţăRomanian
- stamträd, stamtavlaSwedish
- 家譜Chinese (Trad.)
- родовід, генеалогіяUkrainian
- شجرۂ نسبUrdu
- phả hệVietnamese
- 家谱Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for pedigree »
Find a translation for the pedigree definition in other languages:
Select another language: