Definitions for operatorˈɒp əˌreɪ tər
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word operator
(mathematics) a symbol or function representing a mathematical operation
an agent that operates some apparatus or machine
"the operator of the switchboard"
someone who owns or operates a business
"who is the operator of this franchise?"
hustler, wheeler dealer, operator(noun)
a shrewd or unscrupulous person who knows how to circumvent difficulties
a speculator who trades aggressively on stock or commodity markets
A person who operates a telephone switchboard.
A person who schemes and maneuvers adroitly or deviously to achieve his/her purposes.
One who operates.
A telecommunications facilitator whose job is to establish temporary network connections.
A function or other mapping that carries variables defined on a domain into another variable or set of variables in a defined range.
Another name for Chinese whispers.
A person who is adept at making deals or getting results, especially one who uses questionable methods.
A member of a military Special Operations unit.
The administrator of a channel or network on IRC.
In basic mathematics, an operator is a symbol or function representing a mathematical operation. In terms of vector spaces, an operator is a mapping from one vector space or module to another. Operators are of critical importance to both linear algebra and functional analysis, and they find application in many other fields of pure and applied mathematics. For example, in classical mechanics, the derivative is used ubiquitously, and in quantum mechanics, observables are represented by linear operators. Important properties that various operators may exhibit include linearity, continuity, and boundedness.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'operator' in Nouns Frequency: #1380
Images & Illustrations of operator
Translations for operator
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- telefonist, operatør, operator, telefonistindeDanish
- Vermittlung, Telefonistin, Rechenzeichen, Betreiber, Operator, TelefonistGerman
- διαχειριστής, τελεστής, τηλεφωνητής, διαχειρίστρια, χειριστής, τηλεφωνήτριαGreek
- keskuksenhoitaja, vaihteenhoitaja, toimija, operaattoriFinnish
- opérateur, téléphonisteFrench
- מפעיל, מרכזיהHebrew
- műveleti jelHungarian
- 演算子, 交換手, 作用素, オペレーター, 操作者Japanese
- operador, telefonistaPortuguese
- operator, telefonistă, operatoareRomanian
- оператор, телефонист, телефонисткаRussian
- operater, оператер, djelatelj, operatorSerbo-Croatian
- telefonist, telebolag, operatör, kirurgSwedish
Get even more translations for operator »
Find a translation for the operator definition in other languages:
Select another language: