offspring, progeny, issue(noun)
the immediate descendants of a person
"she was the mother of many offspring"; "he died without issue"
offspring, materialization, materialisation(noun)
something that comes into existence as a result
"industrialism prepared the way for acceptance of the French Revolution's various socialistic offspring"; "this skyscraper is the solid materialization of his efforts"
any immature animal
A person's daughter(s) and/or son(s)
All a person's descendants, including further generations
An animal or plant's progeny, known as young
Another produce, result of an entity's efforts
Artists often treasure their works as their immortal offspring
A process launched by another process
Origin: From ofspring, from ofspring, equivalent to . Compare afspringr. More at off, spring.
In biology, offspring is the product of reproduction, of a new organism produced by one or more parents. Collective offspring may be known as a brood or progeny in a more general way. This can refer to a set of simultaneous offspring, such as the chicks hatched from one clutch of eggs, or to all the offspring, as with the honeybee. Human offspring are referred to as children; male children are sons and female children are daughters. See kinship and descent. Offspring can occur after mating or after Artificial Insemination
Song lyrics by offspring -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by offspring on the Lyrics.com website.
British National Corpus
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'offspring' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3707
The numerical value of offspring in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of offspring in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
We slew the goliath of raciism,but, we now must contend with his offspring.
No fathers and mothers think their own children ugly, and this self-deceit is yet stronger with respect to the offspring of the mind.
They could either choose to mate with the first, potentially inferior, companion and risk inferior offspring, or they could wait for Mr. or Ms. Perfect to come around.
It is wrong to think that love comes from long companionship and persevering courtship. Love is the offspring of spiritual affinity and unless that affinity is created in a moment, it will not be created for years or even generations.
This is supported by the fact that women with the best diabetes control. . . in pregnancy had offspring that performed better academically than offspring of. . . women without diabetes, the authors of this study do endorse this as a possible explanation for their findings.
Images & Illustrations of offspring
Translations for offspring
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- سلالة, ذريةArabic
- нәҫел, балаBashkir
- Nachkommenschaft, Sprösslinge, Nachfahren, Nachkommen, Nachwuchs, Nachkommin, Tochter, Kind, Sohn, Abkömmlinge, Nachkomme, Hinterlassenschaft, Sprössling, Nachfahrinnen, NachkomminnenGerman
- τέκνο, παιδίGreek
- idaro, ido, filino, filoEsperanto
- lapsi, jälkeläinen, aikaansaannos, jälkikasvuFinnish
- enfants, progéniture, enfant, descendance, enfanceFrench
- clann, àil, sliochd, àlScottish Gaelic
- figlia, discendenti, discendente, figlioItalian
- nakomelingschap, kinderen, nakomelingen, afstammeling, nazaat, kind, kinders, voortbrengst, nageslacht, nageslachten, productie, nakomeling, afstammelingenDutch
- etterkommarar, avkom, barn, etterkomar, ætling, ætting, etterkomarar, etterkommarNorwegian Nynorsk
- barn, ættinger, avkom, ætlinger, etterkommer, ætting, ætling, etterkommereNorwegian
- potomstwo, potomekPolish
- filho, descendência, rebento, filhaPortuguese
- отпрыск, потомство, потомокRussian
- pòtōmstvo, pòtomakSerbo-Croatian
- potomstvo, potomekSlovak
- avkommor, avkomma, avkomling, avkomlingar, ättling, ättlingarSwedish
- çocuk, evlatTurkish
Get even more translations for offspring »
Find a translation for the offspring definition in other languages:
Select another language: