Definitions for officeˈɔ fɪs, ˈɒf ɪs
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word office
office, business office(noun)
place of business where professional or clerical duties are performed
"he rented an office in the new building"
agency, federal agency, government agency, bureau, office, authority(noun)
an administrative unit of government
"the Central Intelligence Agency"; "the Census Bureau"; "Office of Management and Budget"; "Tennessee Valley Authority"
function, office, part, role(noun)
the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group
"the function of a teacher"; "the government must do its part"; "play its role"
(of a government or government official) holding an office means being in power
"being in office already gives a candidate a great advantage"; "during his first year in office"; "during his first year in power"; "the power of the president"
office, office staff(noun)
professional or clerical workers in an office
"the whole office was late the morning of the blizzard"
a religious rite or service prescribed by ecclesiastical authorities
"the offices of the mass"
position, post, berth, office, spot, billet, place, situation(noun)
a job in an organization
"he occupied a post in the treasury"
A building or room where clerical or professional duties are performed.
A bureau, an administrative unit of government.
A position of responsibility of some authority within an organisation.
Rite, ceremonial observance of social or religious nature.
Religious service, especially a liturgy officiated by a Christian priest or minister
Major administrative division, notably in certain governmental administrations, either at ministry level (e.g. the British Home Office) or within or dependent on such a department.
A task that one feels obliged to do.
The parts of a house given over to household work, storage etc.
Origin: From office, offis etc., and office, from officium, probably a contraction of opificium, from opifex, from opus + facere.
An office is generally a room or other area where people work, but may also denote a position within an organization with specific duties attached to it; the latter is in fact an earlier usage, office as place originally referring to the location of one's duty. When used as an adjective, the term "office" may refer to business-related tasks. In legal writing, a company or organization has offices in any place that it has an official presence, even if that presence consists of, for example, a storage silo rather than an office. An office is an architectural and design phenomenon, whether it is a small office such as a bench in the corner of a small business of extremely small size through entire floors of buildings up to and including massive buildings dedicated entirely to one company. In modern terms an office usually refers to the location where white-collar workers are employed.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
An enduring organization that is formed around a specific function within a joint force commander
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'office' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #328
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'office' in Written Corpus Frequency: #520
Rank popularity for the word 'office' in Nouns Frequency: #83
Translations for office
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- канто́ра, бюро́, о́фисBulgarian
- oficinaCatalan, Valencian
- funkce, kancelář, úřadCzech
- bureau, kontorDanish
- Büro, Amt, DienstGerman
- oficejo, oficoEsperanto
- دفتر, ادارهPersian
- virasto, toimisto, toimipaikka, ministeriö, virka, liikehuoneisto, konttoriFinnish
- bons offices, bon office, office, bureauFrench
- dreuchd, oifisScottish Gaelic
- ऑफ़िस, दफ़तरHindi
- iroda, hivatalHungarian
- պաշտոն, բյուրո, գրասենյակArmenian
- 執務室, 事務室, 事務所, オフィスJapanese
- ოფისი, ბიუროGeorgian
- 사무실, 사무소, 事務所, 事務室Korean
- ministrija, dievkalpojums, pārvalde, ceremonija, kantoris, postenis, birojs, pakalpojums, amatsLatvian
- управа, канцела́рија, уред, дирекцијаMacedonian
- pejabat, opisMalay
- bureau, dienst, overheidsdienst, invloed, kantoorDutch
- urząd, biuro, stanowisko, funkcjaPolish
- mediação, escritórioPortuguese
- funcție, birou, departament, oficiu, ministerRomanian
- бюро, кабине́т, о́фис, ведомство, канцеля́рия, услуга, помощь, конто́ра, министерство, бюро́, управлениеRussian
- пословница, ured, управа, biro, pisarnica, uprava, биро, kancelarija, канцеларија, poslovnica, писарница, уред, upraviteljstvo, управитељствоSerbo-Croatian
- pisarna, uradSlovene
- kontor, byråSwedish
- afisi, ofisiSwahili
- büro, ofis, iş yeriTurkish
- бюро́, о́фіс, конто́раUkrainian
- دفتر, آفسUrdu
- văn phòngVietnamese
Get even more translations for office »
Find a translation for the office definition in other languages:
Select another language: