Definitions for offerˈɔ fər, ˈɒf ər
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word offer
the verbal act of offering
"a generous offer of assistance"
something offered (as a proposal or bid)
"noteworthy new offerings for investors included several index funds"
crack, fling, go, pass, whirl, offer(verb)
a usually brief attempt
"he took a crack at it"; "I gave it a whirl"
make available or accessible, provide or furnish
"The conference center offers a health spa"; "The hotel offers private meeting rooms"
present for acceptance or rejection
"She offered us all a cold drink"
"She volunteered to drive the old lady home"; "I offered to help with the dishes but the hostess would not hear of it"
put forward for consideration
"He offered his opinion"
"extend my greetings"; "He offered his sympathy"
make available for sale
"The stores are offering specials on sweaters this week"
offer, bid, tender(verb)
propose a payment
"The Swiss dealer offered $2 million for the painting"
produce or introduce on the stage
"The Shakespeare Company is offering `King Lear' this month"
offer, offer up(verb)
present as an act of worship
"offer prayers to the gods"
put up, provide, offer(verb)
mount or put up
"put up a good fight"; "offer resistance"
make available; provide
"extend a loan"; "The bank offers a good deal on new mortgages"
propose, declare oneself, offer, pop the question(verb)
ask (someone) to marry you
"he popped the question on Sunday night"; "she proposed marriage to the man she had known for only two months"; "The old bachelor finally declared himself to the young woman"
threaten to do something
"I offered to leave the committee if they did not accept my proposal"
agent noun of off
Origin: From offren, offrien, from offrian, from offero, from ob + fero, from bʰer-, later reinforced by offrir. Cognate with offria, offron, opfern, offra. More at ob-, bear.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
of′ėr, v.t. to bring to or before: to hold out for acceptance or rejection: to make a proposal to: to lay before: to present to the mind: to attempt: to propose to give, as a price or service: to present in worship.—v.i. to present itself: to be at hand: to declare a willingness.—n. act of offering: first advance: that which is offered: proposal made.—adj. Off′erable, that may be offered.—ns. Off′erer; Off′ering, act of making an offer: that which is offered: a gift: (B.) that which is offered on an altar: a sacrifice: (pl.) in Church of England, certain dues payable at Easter; Off′ertory, act of offering, the thing offered: the verses or the anthem said or sung while the offerings of the congregation are being made and the celebrant is placing the unconsecrated elements on the altar: the money collected at a religious service: anciently a linen or silken cloth used in various ceremonies connected with the administration of the eucharist. [L. offerre—ob, towards, ferre, to bring.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'offer' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1008
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'offer' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1576
Rank popularity for the word 'offer' in Nouns Frequency: #647
Rank popularity for the word 'offer' in Verbs Frequency: #70
The numerical value of offer in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of offer in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of offer
Translations for offer
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- اقترح, عرArabic
- oferir, ofertaCatalan, Valencian
- nabídka, nabídnoutCzech
- udsætte, tilbud, udbud, tilbyde, udlove, bud, udbudsforretning, foreslåDanish
- anbieten, Offerte, Angebot, Antrag, vorschlagen, VorschlagGerman
- προσφορά, προσφέρομαι, πρόταση, προθυμοποιούμαι, προσφέρωGreek
- oferta, ofrecerSpanish
- tarjota, tarjous, ehdottaa, asettaa käyttöönFinnish
- offre, offrirFrench
- tairgse, tathainn, tairgScottish Gaelic
- ajánlat, felajánl, indítványoz, kínál, ajánlHungarian
- tawaran, PenawaranIndonesian
- offerta, offrireItalian
- 申し出る, 提供, 提議, 建議Japanese
- bud, anbud, tilbudNorwegian
- aanbieding, voorstel, indienen, presenteren, bod, vertonen, aanbod, aanzoek, voorstellen, aanbiedenDutch
- tilbod, bod, anbodNorwegian Nynorsk
- forslag, tilby, foreslåNorwegian
- propozycja, oferta, proponować, oferować, zaproponowaćPolish
- proposta, oferecer, ofertaPortuguese
- ofrir, offerta, offrir, offerir, offereirRomansh
- предложение, предлагать, предложить, предоставлять, предоставитьRussian
- oferri, oferriri, oferrereSardinian
- предложити, предлог, понуда, понудитиSerbo-Croatian
- predlog, ponudba, ponuditi, predlagatiSlovene
- bud, offert, erbjuda, erbjudandeSwedish
- öneri, teklif, sunu, önermek, teklif etmek, arz, sunmakTurkish
Get even more translations for offer »
Find a translation for the offer definition in other languages:
Select another language: