Definitions for objectiveəbˈdʒɛk tɪv
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word objective
aim, object, objective, target(noun)
the goal intended to be attained (and which is believed to be attainable)
"the sole object of her trip was to see her children"
objective, objective lens, object lens, object glass(adj)
the lens or system of lenses in a telescope or microscope that is nearest the object being viewed
undistorted by emotion or personal bias; based on observable phenomena
"an objective appraisal"; "objective evidence"
serving as or indicating the object of a verb or of certain prepositions and used for certain other purposes
"objective case"; "accusative endings"
emphasizing or expressing things as perceived without distortion of personal feelings, insertion of fictional matter, or interpretation
belonging to immediate experience of actual things or events
"objective benefits"; "an objective example"; "there is no objective evidence of anything of the kind"
A material object that physically exists.
A goal that is striven for.
The objective case; a noun or pronoun in that case.
The lens or lenses of a camera, microscope, or other optical device closest to the object being examined.
of or relating to a material object, actual existence or reality
agreed upon by all parties present (or nearly all); based on consensually observed facts
not influenced by irrational emotions or prejudices
of, or relating to a noun or pronoun used as the object of a verb
of or pertaining to an object
of or pertaining to an object; contained in, or having the nature or position of, an object; outward; external; extrinsic; -- an epithet applied to whatever ir exterior to the mind, or which is simply an object of thought or feeling, and opposed to subjective
pertaining to, or designating, the case which follows a transitive verb or a preposition, being that case in which the direct object of the verb is placed. See Accusative, n
the objective case
an object glass. See under Object, n
same as Objective point, under Objective, a
In an optical instrument, the objective is the optical element that gathers light from the object being observed and focuses the light rays to produce a real image. Objectives can be single lenses or mirrors, or combinations of several optical elements. They are used in microscopes, telescopes, cameras, slide projectors, CD players and many other optical instruments. Objectives are also called object lenses, object glasses, or objective glasses.
The Nuttall Encyclopedia
a philosophical term used to denote that which is true universally apart from all merely private sense or judgment, and finds response in the universal reason, the reason that is common to all rational beings; it is opposed to subjective, or agreeable to one's mere feelings or fancy.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
1. The clearly defined, decisive, and attainable goal toward which every operation is directed. 2. The specific target of the action taken (for example, a definite terrain feature, the seizure or holding of which is essential to the commander
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'objective' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3459
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'objective' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2668
Rank popularity for the word 'objective' in Nouns Frequency: #646
Rank popularity for the word 'objective' in Adjectives Frequency: #695
Translations for objective
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- حقاني, هدف, متجرد, موضوعي, عقلانيArabic
- objectiuCatalan, Valencian
- objektivní, cíl, objektiv, záměrCzech
- Objektiv, ZielGerman
- αντικείμενο, αντικειμενικός φακός, αντικειμενικός, αιτιατικήGreek
- esineellinen, objektiivinen, päämäärä, objektiivi, esine, hyväksytty, tavoite, puolueeton, totuudenmukainen, materiaalinenFinnish
- objectif, objective, butFrench
- amasScottish Gaelic
- cél, objektív, tárgyi, célpont, tárgyesetHungarian
- obiettivo, oggettivo, obbiettivoItalian
- 対物レンズ, 客観, 目的Japanese
- 目的, 목적Korean
- nuchtere, streefdoel, objectieve, objectief, nuchter, doel, doelstellingDutch
- obiektyw, przedmiotowy, obiektywny, cel, obiektowy, obiektPolish
- objetivo, objetivaPortuguese
- объектный падеж, объективный, объект, цель, объективRussian
- saklig, objektiv, målSwedish
Get even more translations for objective »
Find a translation for the objective definition in other languages:
Select another language: