Definitions for notionˈnoʊ ʃən
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word notion
impression, feeling, belief, notion, opinion(noun)
a vague idea in which some confidence is placed
"his impression of her was favorable"; "what are your feelings about the crisis?"; "it strengthened my belief in his sincerity"; "I had a feeling that she was lying"
a general inclusive concept
notion, whim, whimsy, whimsey(noun)
an odd or fanciful or capricious idea
"the theatrical notion of disguise is associated with disaster in his stories"; "he had a whimsy about flying to the moon"; "whimsy can be humorous to someone with time to enjoy it"
(usually plural) small personal articles or clothing or sewing items
"buttons and needles are notions"
Mental apprehension of whatever may be known or imagined; an idea; a conception; more properly, a general or universal conception, as distinguishable or definable by marks or notu00E6.
A sentiment; an opinion.
Sense; mind. Shakespeare.
An invention; an ingenious device; a knickknack.
Any small article used in sewing and haberdashery, such as a button or zipper.
Inclination; intention; disposition.
I have a notion to do it.
Origin: From notio, from noscere. Compare French notion. See know.
mental apprehension of whatever may be known or imagined; an idea; a conception; more properly, a general or universal conception, as distinguishable or definable by marks or notae
a sentiment; an opinion
an invention; an ingenious device; a knickknack; as, Yankee notions
inclination; intention; disposition; as, I have a notion to do it
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'notion' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2743
Rank popularity for the word 'notion' in Nouns Frequency: #995
Translations for notion
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- anlayış, məfhum, fikirAzerbaijani
- төшөнсә, фекерBashkir
- pojem, představaCzech
- Gedanke, Ahnung, Ansicht, Denkbild, Idee, Absicht, Einfall, Lust, Begriff, Auffassung, NeigungGerman
- γνώμη, άποψη, αντίληψη, θεώρησηGreek
- intención, noción, ganasSpanish
- käsite, käsitys, aikomusFinnish
- nóisean, smaoineamh, éirimIrish
- smaoinScottish Gaelic
- elképzelés, gondolat, elgondolás, fogalomHungarian
- បំណង, គំនិត, សញ្ញាណKhmer
- поим, претстава, став, намера, мислаMacedonian
- notie, besefDutch
- noção, opinião, idéia, intençãoPortuguese
- noțiune, opinie, înclinațieRomanian
- понятие, представление, мнениеRussian
- nosyon, görüş, fikir, mefhum, eğilim, kavramTurkish
- khái niệmVietnamese
Get even more translations for notion »
Find a translation for the notion definition in other languages:
Select another language: