a condition requiring relief
"she satisfied his need for affection"; "God has no need of men to accomplish His work"; "there is a demand for jobs"
anything that is necessary but lacking
"he had sufficient means to meet his simple needs"; "I tried to supply his wants"
motivation, motive, need(noun)
the psychological feature that arouses an organism to action toward a desired goal; the reason for the action; that which gives purpose and direction to behavior
"we did not understand his motivation"; "he acted with the best of motives"
indigence, need, penury, pauperism, pauperization(verb)
a state of extreme poverty or destitution
"their indigence appalled him"; "a general state of need exists among the homeless"
necessitate, ask, postulate, need, require, take, involve, call for, demand(verb)
require as useful, just, or proper
"It takes nerve to do what she did"; "success usually requires hard work"; "This job asks a lot of patience and skill"; "This position demands a lot of personal sacrifice"; "This dinner calls for a spectacular dessert"; "This intervention does not postulate a patient's consent"
want, need, require(verb)
have need of
"This piano wants the attention of a competent tuner"
have or feel a need for
"always needing friends and money"
a state that requires supply or relief; pressing occasion for something; necessity; urgent want
want of the means of subsistence; poverty; indigence; destitution
that which is needful; anything necessary to be done; (pl.) necessary things; business
situation of need; peril; danger
to be in want of; to have cause or occasion for; to lack; to require, as supply or relief
to be wanted; to be necessary
of necessity. See Needs
Origin: [See Need, n. Cf. AS. ndan to force, Goth. naujan.]
A need is something that is necessary for organisms to live a healthy life. Needs are distinguished from wants because a deficiency would cause a clear negative outcome, such as dysfunction or death. Needs can be objective and physical, such as food, or they can be subjective and psychological, such as the need for self-esteem. On a social level, needs are sometimes controversial. Understanding needs and wants is an issue in the fields of politics, social science, and philosophy.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
nēd, n. want of something which one cannot do without: necessity: a state that requires relief: want of the means of living.—v.t. to have occasion for: to want.—ns. Need′-be, a necessity; Need′er; Need′fire, fire produced by friction, to which a certain virtue is superstitiously attached: a beacon generally.—adj. Need′ful, full of need: having need: needy: necessary: requisite.—adv. Need′fully.—n. Need′fulness.—adv. Need′ily.—n. Need′iness.—adj. Need′less (Shak.), having no need: not needed: unnecessary.—adv. Need′lessly.—n. Need′lessness.—adv. Need′ly (Shak.), necessarily.—n. Need′ment, something needed.—adv. Needs, of necessity: indispensably—often used with must, as 'needs must.'—adj. Need′y, very poor: requisite.—n. Need′yhood.—The needful (slang), ready money. [A.S. néd, niéd, nýd; Dut. nood, Ger. noth.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'need' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #284
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'need' in Written Corpus Frequency: #165
Rank popularity for the word 'need' in Nouns Frequency: #97
Rank popularity for the word 'need' in Verbs Frequency: #31
The numerical value of need in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of need in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Its not foresight or hindsight we need. We need sight, plain and simple. We need to see what is right in front of us.
We need more training, we need more arms and we need more trucks, but equally important we need jobs. We need people to come and invest.
Greatness is more than potential. It is the execution of that potential. Beyond the raw talent. You need the appropriate training. You need the discipline. You need the inspiration. You need the drive.
When I am centered on love I don’t need to be better than you. I don’t need you to like me. I don’t need to be rich. I don’t even need to be extraordinary. When I am centered on love who I am and where I am at is enough
This world is made for them. You don’t need money, you don’t need power, you don’t need resources, you don’t need scale, you don’t need experience. What you need is an idea with executional capability, it’s that kind of craziness now that is going to win.
Images & Illustrations of need
Translations for need
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- يحتاج, ضرورة, حاجة, احتاجArabic
- necessitar, haver de, caldre, requerir, necessitatCatalan, Valencian
- potřeba, potřebovatCzech
- behov, behøveDanish
- brauchen, Notwendigkeit, benötigen, Bedürfnis, BedarfGerman
- bezoni, bezonoEsperanto
- necesidades, necesidad, necesitarSpanish
- احتیاج داشتن, نیاز داشتن, نیازPersian
- tarve, tarvita, täytyäFinnish
- nécessité, [[être]] [[obligé]] de, besoin, avoir besoin deFrench
- feumScottish Gaelic
- necesitar, precisar, requirirGalician
- ज़रूरत होना, ज़रूरत, मुहताज होनाHindi
- կարիք, կարիք ունենալArmenian
- necessitate, besoniar, besonioInterlingua
- bezono, bezonarIdo
- aver bisogno di, necessità, bisognoItalian
- してはいけない, 要る, 必要Japanese
- 필요, 요하다Korean
- egeo, desidero, necessitas, debeo, requiro, obligor, necessitudoLatin
- vajadzība, vajadzētLatvian
- потреба, мора, зорт, треба, нуждаMacedonian
- għand bżonnMaltese
- behoeven, vereisen, moeten hebben, behoefte, moeten, benodigen, nodig hebbenDutch
- potrzeba, potrzebowaćPolish
- necessidade, precisar, necessitarPortuguese
- basegn, avair basegn daRomansh
- trebui, nevoie, necesitate, cerințăRomanian
- требоваться, нуждаться, необходимость, нужда, потребность, быть нужнымRussian
- potrebovati, rabitiSlovene
- nödgas, behöva, måste, behovSwedish
- gereklilik, ihtiyaç duymak, ihtiyaç, gerekmek, gereksinim duymak, ihtiyacı olmak, -malı, gereksinim, lazım olmak, gereksinmek, -meli, eksik, zorunda olmak, gereksinimi olmakTurkish
- нужда, необхідність, потребаUkrainian
- cần, muốnVietnamese
Get even more translations for need »
Find a translation for the need definition in other languages:
Select another language: