Definitions for necessaryˈnɛs əˌsɛr i
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word necessary
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
nec•es•sar•y*ˈnɛs əˌsɛr i(adj.; n.)(pl.)-sar•ies.
(adj.)essential, indispensable, or requisite:
a necessary part of the motor.
happening or existing by necessity; unavoidable:
a necessary change in our plans.
Category: Common Vocabulary
acting or proceeding from compulsion or necessity; involuntary.
Logic. (of a proposition) such that a denial of it involves a self-contradiction. (of an inference or argument) such that its conclusion cannot be false if its supporting premises are true. (of a condition) such that it must exist if a given event is to occur or a given thing is to exist.
Ref: Compare sufficient (def. 2). 2
(n.)something necessary or requisite; necessity.
Chiefly New Eng. a privy or toilet.
* Syn: necessary , requisite , indispensable , essential indicate something that cannot be done without. necessary refers to something needed for existence, for proper functioning, or for a particular purpose: Food is necessary for life. Sugar is a necessary ingredient in this recipe.requisite refers to something required for a particular purpose or by particular circumstances: She has the requisite qualifications for the job.indispensable means absolutely necessary to achieve a particular purpose or to complete or perfect a unit: He made himself indispensable in the laboratory.essential refers to something that is part of the basic nature or character of a thing and is vital to its existence or functioning: Water is essential to life.
Origin of necessary:
1300–50; ME < L necessārius unavoidable, inevitable, needful
necessity, essential, requirement, requisite, necessary(adj)
"food and shelter are necessities of life"; "the essentials of the good life"; "allow farmers to buy their requirements under favorable conditions"; "a place where the requisites of water fuel and fodder can be obtained"
unavoidably determined by prior circumstances
"the necessary consequences of one's actions"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
necessary(adjective)ˈnɛs əˌsɛr i
needed or essential
We gathered the necessary supplies.; It is not necessary to explain everything.; Is it necessary for everyone to be there?; If necessary, we'll take her to the hospital.
necessaryˈnɛs əˌsɛr i
unable to be avoided; = inevitable
Suffering is a necessary part of the human experience.
necessaryˈnɛs əˌsɛr i
sth you do not like that you must accept
Work is a necessary evil for most of us.
bathroom, toilet, loo
Origin: From necessarye, from necessaire, from necessarius, from necesse, neuter adjective with esse and habeo, probably originating from ne cessum or non cessum, from ne + cessus, perfect passive participle of cedo; see cede.
such as must be; impossible to be otherwise; not to be avoided; inevitable
impossible to be otherwise, or to be dispensed with, without preventing the attainment of a desired result; indispensable; requiste; essential
acting from necessity or compulsion; involuntary; -- opposed to free; as, whether man is a necessary or a free agent is a question much discussed
a thing that is necessary or indispensable to some purpose; something that one can not do without; a requisite; an essential; -- used chiefly in the plural; as, the necessaries of life
a privy; a water-closet
such things, in respect to infants, lunatics, and married women, as are requisite for support suitable to station
"Necessary" is a song by Japanese j-pop group Every Little Thing, released as their tenth single on September 30, 1998.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'necessary' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #503
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'necessary' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1047
Rank popularity for the word 'necessary' in Adjectives Frequency: #59
Translations for necessary
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
Is it necessary to sign one's name?; I shall do all that is necessary.
- necessárioPortuguese (BR)
- nezbytný, nutnýCzech
- απαραίτητος, αναγκαίοςGreek
- आवश्यक, अनिवार्यHindi
- potrebno, obaveznoCroatian
- būtinas, reikalingasLithuanian
- nødvendig, påkrevdNorwegian
- nödvändig, behövligSwedish
- gerekli, lâzımTurkish
- 必要的，需要的Chinese (Trad.)
- необхідний, потрібнийUkrainian
- cần thiếtVietnamese
- 必要的，必需的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for necessary »
Find a translation for the necessary definition in other languages:
Select another language: