Definitions for mysteriousmɪˈstɪər i əs
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
mys•te•ri•ous*mɪˈstɪər i əs(adj.)
involving or full of mystery:
a mysterious phone call.
suggesting or implying a mystery:
a mysterious smile.
a mysterious inscription on an ancient tomb.
* Syn: mysterious , inscrutable , mystical , obscure refer to that which is not easily comprehended or explained. That which is mysterious , by being unknown or puzzling, excites curiosity or awe: a mysterious disease.inscrutable applies to that which is impenetrable, so enigmatic that one cannot interpret it: an inscrutable smile. That which is mystical has a secret significance, such as that attaching to certain rites or signs: mystical symbols. That which is obscure is discovered or comprehended dimly or with difficulty: obscure motives.
cryptic, cryptical, deep, inscrutable, mysterious, mystifying(adj)
of an obscure nature
"the new insurance policy is written without cryptic or mysterious terms"; "a deep dark secret"; "the inscrutable workings of Providence"; "in its mysterious past it encompasses all the dim origins of life"- Rachel Carson; "rituals totally mystifying to visitors from other lands"
mysterious, mystic, mystical, occult, secret, orphic(adj)
having an import not apparent to the senses nor obvious to the intelligence; beyond ordinary understanding
"mysterious symbols"; "the mystical style of Blake"; "occult lore"; "the secret learning of the ancients"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
mysterious(adjective)ɪˈstɪər i əs
strange and difficult to understand
the mysterious failure of the vaccine
mysteriousɪˈstɪər i əs
unusual and exciting or interesting
a mysterious and handsome young man; Mysteriously, there was nothing left.; He spoke mysteriously of "a new way of living."
Of unknown origin
Having unknown qualities
of or pertaining to mystery; containing a mystery; difficult or impossible to understand; obscure not revealed or explained; enigmatical; incomprehensible
Translations for mysterious
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
difficult to understand or explain, or full of mystery
mysterious happenings; He's being very mysterious (= refuses to explain fully) about what his work is
- سِرّي، غامِضArabic
- misteriosoPortuguese (BR)
- tajemný, záhadnýCzech
- mystisk; gådefuldDanish
- mõistatuslik, saladuslikEstonian
- रहस्मय, रहस्यपूर्णHindi
- tajnovit, zagonetanCroatian
- penuh rahasiaIndonesian
- noslēpumains; mīklainsLatvian
- menjadi persoalanMalay
- mystisk, gåtefullNorwegian
- mystisk, hemlighetsfullSwedish
- esrarlı, esrarengizTurkish
- 神秘的Chinese (Trad.)
- таємничий; незбагненнийUkrainian
- پر اسرارUrdu
- bí ẩn; khó hiểuVietnamese
- 神秘的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for mysterious »