Definitions for mysteriousmɪˈstɪər i əs
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word mysterious
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
mys•te•ri•ous*mɪˈstɪər i əs(adj.)
involving or full of mystery:
a mysterious phone call.
suggesting or implying a mystery:
a mysterious smile.
a mysterious inscription on an ancient tomb.
* Syn: mysterious , inscrutable , mystical , obscure refer to that which is not easily comprehended or explained. That which is mysterious , by being unknown or puzzling, excites curiosity or awe: a mysterious disease.inscrutable applies to that which is impenetrable, so enigmatic that one cannot interpret it: an inscrutable smile. That which is mystical has a secret significance, such as that attaching to certain rites or signs: mystical symbols. That which is obscure is discovered or comprehended dimly or with difficulty: obscure motives.
cryptic, cryptical, deep, inscrutable, mysterious, mystifying(adj)
of an obscure nature
"the new insurance policy is written without cryptic or mysterious terms"; "a deep dark secret"; "the inscrutable workings of Providence"; "in its mysterious past it encompasses all the dim origins of life"- Rachel Carson; "rituals totally mystifying to visitors from other lands"
mysterious, mystic, mystical, occult, secret, orphic(adj)
having an import not apparent to the senses nor obvious to the intelligence; beyond ordinary understanding
"mysterious symbols"; "the mystical style of Blake"; "occult lore"; "the secret learning of the ancients"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
mysterious(adjective)ɪˈstɪər i əs
strange and difficult to understand
the mysterious failure of the vaccine
mysteriousɪˈstɪər i əs
unusual and exciting or interesting
a mysterious and handsome young man; Mysteriously, there was nothing left.; He spoke mysteriously of "a new way of living."
Of unknown origin
Having unknown qualities
of or pertaining to mystery; containing a mystery; difficult or impossible to understand; obscure not revealed or explained; enigmatical; incomprehensible
"Mysterious" is Jentina's third and final single from her eponynomus debut album, Jentina, and was released only in Italy. Plans were made for a UK release but were cancelled. A music video, directed by Ben Ib was made for this single with a futuristic theme. The video was mostly computerized with Jentina singing in many different locations and appearing in many different magazines.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'mysterious' in Adjectives Frequency: #833
Translations for mysterious
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
difficult to understand or explain, or full of mystery
mysterious happenings; He's being very mysterious (= refuses to explain fully) about what his work is
- سِرّي، غامِضArabic
- misteriosoPortuguese (BR)
- tajemný, záhadnýCzech
- mystisk; gådefuldDanish
- mõistatuslik, saladuslikEstonian
- रहस्मय, रहस्यपूर्णHindi
- tajnovit, zagonetanCroatian
- penuh rahasiaIndonesian
- noslēpumains; mīklainsLatvian
- menjadi persoalanMalay
- mystisk, gåtefullNorwegian
- mystisk, hemlighetsfullSwedish
- esrarlı, esrarengizTurkish
- 神秘的Chinese (Trad.)
- таємничий; незбагненнийUkrainian
- پر اسرارUrdu
- bí ẩn; khó hiểuVietnamese
- 神秘的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for mysterious »
Find a translation for the mysterious definition in other languages:
Select another language: