Definitions for momentˈmoʊ mənt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word moment
moment, minute, second, instant(noun)
a particular point in time
"the moment he arrived the party began"
moment, mo, minute, second, bit(noun)
an indefinitely short time
"wait just a moment"; "in a mo"; "it only takes a minute"; "in just a bit"
here and now, present moment, moment(noun)
at this time
"the disappointments of the here and now"; "she is studying at the moment"
consequence, import, moment(noun)
having important effects or influence
"decisions of great consequence are made by the president himself"; "virtue is of more moment than security"; "that result is of no consequence"
a turning force produced by an object acting at a distance (or a measure of that force)
the n-th moment of a distribution is the expected value of the n-th power of the deviations from a fixed value
A brief, unspecified amount of time.
Wait up a moment, while I lock the front door.
The smallest portion of time; an instant.
Weight or importance.
The turning effect of a force applied to a rotational system at a distance from the axis of rotation. Also called moment of force.
A definite period of time, specifically one-tenth of a point, or one-fortieth or one-fiftieth of an hour.
A petit mal episode; such a spell.
A fit, a short-duration tantrum, a hissy.
Origin: From moment, from momentum.
a minute portion of time; a point of time; an instant; as, at thet very moment
impulsive power; force; momentum
importance, as in influence or effect; consequence; weight or value; consideration
an essential element; a deciding point, fact, or consideration; an essential or influential circumstance
an infinitesimal change in a varying quantity; an increment or decrement
tendency, or measure of tendency, to produce motion, esp. motion about a fixed point or axis
Moment is an American Jewish magazine. It publishes articles related to Jewish culture, lifestyle, politics, and religion. Moment is not affiliated with any Jewish organization or religious movement, and its articles and columnists represent a diverse range of political views. It has 65,000 subscribers, and is the largest independent Jewish magazine in America.
The Standard Electrical Dictionary
When a force is applied so as to tend to produce rotation around a point, the product of the force by the shortest distance from the point of rotation to the extension of the line of the force. Such distance is the perpendicular to the extension of the line through the point of rotation.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
In air transport, the weight of a load multiplied by its distance from a reference point in the aircraft.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'moment' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #442
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'moment' in Written Corpus Frequency: #335
Rank popularity for the word 'moment' in Nouns Frequency: #116
Translations for moment
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- момент на силаBulgarian
- moment, instant, moment de forçaCatalan, Valencian
- okamžik, moment, moment sílyCzech
- Zeitpunkt, Moment, AugenblickGerman
- στιγμή, ροπήGreek
- momento, momantoEsperanto
- moment, hetkEstonian
- hetkinen, tuokio, momentti, hetki, silmänräpäysFinnish
- moment, instantFrench
- priobadh, mòmaid, greisScottish Gaelic
- momento, instanteGalician
- 瞬間, モーメントJapanese
- წუთი, მეყი, მომენტიGeorgian
- AbléckLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- ບັດ, ດຽວ, ບຶດດຽວLao
- moments, brīdis, mirklisLatvian
- ogenblik, moment, tijdstip, tel, wijle, wijl, oogwenk, stondDutch
- augeblikk, augeblink, augneblunk, tidspunktNorwegian Nynorsk
- moment, tidspunkt, øyeblikkNorwegian
- chwila, moment siłyPolish
- instante, momentoPortuguese
- mument, mumaintRomansh
- clipă, momentRomanian
- момент, мгновение, миг, минута, момент силыRussian
- mamentu, mementu, momentuSardinian
- tren, moment, trenutak, čas, časak, hipSerbo-Croatian
- momentík, okamžik, chvíľaSlovak
- trenutek, navorSlovene
- momenti, çast, momentAlbanian
- momang, ögonblick, momentSwedish
- nukta, kitamboSwahili
- เดี๋ยว, โมเมนต์, ครู่Thai
- an, momentTurkish
- một lát, việc quan trọng, mô men, chốc lát, khẩn yếu, một chútVietnamese
- אויגנבליק, מאָמענטYiddish
Get even more translations for moment »
Find a translation for the moment definition in other languages:
Select another language: