mistake, error, fault(noun)
a wrong action attributable to bad judgment or ignorance or inattention
"he made a bad mistake"; "she was quick to point out my errors"; "I could understand his English in spite of his grammatical faults"
mistake, misunderstanding, misapprehension(noun)
an understanding of something that is not correct
"he wasn't going to admit his mistake"; "make no mistake about his intentions"; "there must be some misunderstanding--I don't have a sister"
part of a statement that is not correct
"the book was full of errors"
"Don't mistake her for her twin sister"
err, mistake, slip(verb)
to make a mistake or be incorrect
An error; a blunder.
A pitch which was intended to be pitched in a hard to hit location, but instead ends up in an easy to hit place
To understand wrongly, taking one thing for another, or someone for someone else.
Sorry, I mistook you for my brother. You look very similar.
To make an error, to do something in a wrong way.
Origin: from mistaka
to make or form amiss; to spoil in making
to take or choose wrongly
to take in a wrong sense; to misunderstand misapprehend, or misconceive; as, to mistake a remark; to mistake one's meaning
to substitute in thought or perception; as, to mistake one person for another
to have a wrong idea of in respect of character, qualities, etc.; to misjudge
to err in knowledge, perception, opinion, or judgment; to commit an unintentional error
an apprehending wrongly; a misconception; a misunderstanding; a fault in opinion or judgment; an unintentional error of conduct
misconception, error, which when non-negligent may be ground for rescinding a contract, or for refusing to perform it
Origin: [Pref. mis- + take: cf. Icel. mistaka.]
"Mistake" is a pop rock song by Stephanie McIntosh. It was released as the first single from her debut album Tightrope on 29 July 2006. "Mistake" was written by Tom Nichols and Rami Yacoub and Arnthor Birgisson and produced by the team at Maratone and Mixed by Niklas Flycht. The original title for "Mistake" was "Another Mistake". "Mistake" was released as the debut single from Tightrope in the UK and Ireland, where it was released on 25 June 2007 with McIntosh promoting the album there in June 2007. In its first week on the chart, "Mistake" entered the UK Singles Chart at #168, on downloads alone. Then after its physical release, it jumped 121 places to #47. It is her strongest single in and outside of Australia to date, although it didn't reach the top 40 anywhere outside Australia. "Mistake" is featured on the Australian version of the Bratz: Motion Picture Soundtrack. "Mistake" was also briefly used in two scenes in the Australian comedy show Summer Heights High.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
mis-tāk′, v.t. to understand wrongly: to take one thing or person for another.—v.i. to err in opinion or judgment.—n. a taking or understanding wrongly: an error.—adjs. Mistak′able; Mistak′en, understood wrongly: guilty of a mistake: erroneous: incorrect.—adv. Mistak′enly.—n. Mistak′ing (Shak.), a mistake.—And no mistake (coll.), without any manner of doubt: without fail; Be mistaken, to make or have made a mistake: to be misunderstood. [M. E. mistaken—Ice. mistaka, to take wrongly—mis-, wrongly, taka, to take.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'mistake' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2849
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'mistake' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2026
Rank popularity for the word 'mistake' in Nouns Frequency: #879
Rank popularity for the word 'mistake' in Verbs Frequency: #1031
The numerical value of mistake in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of mistake in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
If one has made a mistake, and fails to correct it, one has made a greater mistake.
If you have a choice to play it safe or make a mistake.Take into consideration if you can afford the mistake.
There were mistakes like everyone of us have made in our lives. But this particular mistake was made to keep a bigger mistake from happening. And my wife paid the ultimate price for it.
I made a mistake in recalling the events of 12 years ago, i want to apologize ... I would not have chosen to make this mistake. I don't know what screwed up in my mind that caused me to conflate one aircraft with another.
Images & Illustrations of mistake
Translations for mistake
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- اساء الفهم, غلطة, خطأ, أخطأArabic
- xəta, yanlış, səhvAzerbaijani
- ནོར་འཁྲུལTibetan Standard
- chyba, zaměnitCzech
- misforstå, fejlDanish
- Fehler, verwechselnGerman
- λάθος, κάνω λάθος, σφάλμα, σφάλλωGreek
- eraro, malinterpretiEsperanto
- error, entender mal, equivocaciónSpanish
- kämmi, moka, virhe, fibaFinnish
- mistak, villaFaroese
- se tromper, faute, faire erreur, erreur, confondre, méprendreFrench
- botún, déan dearmad, déan earráidIrish
- טעות, שגיאה, שגגהHebrew
- ग़लती, चूक, ग़लत करना, ग़लत फ़हमी, ग़लत समझना, भूलHindi
- hiba, félreértHungarian
- սխալվել, շփոթել, սխալ, խառնելArmenian
- eroro, miskonocarIdo
- errore, sbagliare, fraintendere, confondere, sbaglioItalian
- 間違い, 錯誤, 誤り, 過ち, ミス, エラーJapanese
- ច្រឡំ, កំហុសKhmer
- 錯覺, 착각, 오해하다, 실수하다, 잘못Korean
- غهلهت, بهغهلهت, غهلهت کردنKurdish
- fallor, fallo, erro, error, erratLatin
- onjuistheid, blunder, misverstaan, misverstand, in de fout gaan, verwisselen, fout, een fout maken, vergissingDutch
- ta feil, tabbe, misforstå, feilNorwegian
- pomyłka, pomylić, błąd, pomylić sięPolish
- erro, confundir-se, engano, enganar-se, equivocar-se, errar, equívocoPortuguese
- greșeală, greși, eroareRomanian
- ошибка, ошибиться, ошибаться, приниматьRussian
- अशुद्धि, त्रुटिSanskrit
- погрјешка, pogreška, pogrijéšiti, грешка, grješka, грјешка, greška, pogrješkaSerbo-Croatian
- zmota, napakaSlovene
- begå, fel, missta, missförstå, miss, misstagSwedish
- பிழை, தவறுTamil
- పొరపాటు, తప్పుTelugu
- ข้อผิดพลาด, ความผิดพลาด, ผิดพลาดThai
- hata yapmak, yanlış yapmak, hata, yanlış anlamak, yanlış, hata etmekTurkish
- غلط, غلط سمجھنا, غلطی, غلط فہمی, بھول, غلط کرناUrdu
- nhầm lẫn, lỗi, sai lầmVietnamese
Get even more translations for mistake »
Find a translation for the mistake definition in other languages:
Select another language: