Definitions for microˈmaɪ kroʊ
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
mi•croˈmaɪ kroʊ(adj.; n.)(pl.)-cros.
minute in scope or capability.
Category: Common Vocabulary, Computers
Origin of micro:
1965–70 micro -
extremely small in scale or scope or capability
Small, relatively small; .
At the micro level he was a good manager. At the more macro level he failed.
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. Very small; this is the root of its use as a quantifier prefix. 2. A quantifier prefix, calling for multiplication by 10-6 (see quantifiers). Neither of these uses is peculiar to hackers, but hackers tend to fling them both around rather more freely than is countenanced in standard English. It is recorded, for example, that one CS professor used to characterize the standard length of his lectures as a microcentury — that is, about 52.6 minutes (see also attoparsec, nanoacre, and especially microfortnight). 3. Personal or human-scale — that is, capable of being maintained or comprehended or manipulated by one human being. This sense is generalized from microcomputer, and is esp. used in contrast with macro- (the corresponding Greek prefix meaning ‘large’). 4. Local as opposed to global (or macro-). Thus a hacker might say that buying a smaller car to reduce pollution only solves a microproblem; the macroproblem of getting to work might be better solved by using mass transit, moving to within walking distance, or (best of all) telecommuting.
The Standard Electrical Dictionary
A prefix meaning "one-millionth of;" a micro-farad is one-millionth of a farad.
Translations for micro
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
micro computer; microprint; micro-organism.
- microPortuguese (BR)
- μικρο- (ως α΄ συνθ.)Greek
- ریز؛ خردFarsi
- מִיקרוֹ-, זָעִירHebrew
- míkró; smá-, ör-Icelandic
- 매우 작은Korean
- mikro-, labai mažas, smulkusLithuanian
- mikro-; mini-Latvian
- ریز؛ خردPersian
- เล็กมาก ๆThai
- çok küçük, miniTurkish
- 微小的Chinese (Trad.)
- маленький; мікро-Ukrainian
- بہت چھوٹاUrdu
- cực nhỏVietnamese
- 表示“小的”和“微小的”Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for micro »