Definitions for mentionˈmɛn ʃən
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word mention
a remark that calls attention to something or someone
"she made frequent mention of her promotion"; "there was no mention of it"; "the speaker made several references to his wife"
citation, cite, acknowledgment, credit, reference, mention, quotation(noun)
a short note recognizing a source of information or of a quoted passage
"the student's essay failed to list several important citations"; "the acknowledgments are usually printed at the front of a book"; "the article includes mention of similar clinical cases"
mention, honorable mention(verb)
an official recognition of merit
"although he didn't win the prize he did get special mention"
mention, advert, bring up, cite, name, refer(verb)
make reference to
"His name was mentioned in connection with the invention"
note, observe, mention, remark(verb)
make mention of
"She observed that his presentation took up too much time"; "They noted that it was a fine day to go sailing"
"he was cited for his outstanding achievements"
A speaking or notice of anything, usually in a brief or cursory manner. Used especially in the phrase to make mention of.
To make a short reference to something.
Origin: From mention, from mentio, mentionis.
a speaking or notice of anything, -- usually in a brief or cursory manner. Used especially in the phrase to make mention of
to make mention of; to speak briefly of; to name
Origin: [OE. mencioun, F. mention, L. mentio, from the root of meminisse to remember. See Mind.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'mention' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3577
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'mention' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1395
Rank popularity for the word 'mention' in Nouns Frequency: #2163
Rank popularity for the word 'mention' in Verbs Frequency: #210
Translations for mention
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- اشار الىArabic
- zmínit, zmínkaCzech
- erwähnen, ErwähnungGerman
- μνημονεύω, μνημόνευση, αναφορά, αναφέρω, μνείαGreek
- mencionar, menciónSpanish
- maininta, mainita, viitataFinnish
- trácht arIrish
- iomradh, luaidhScottish Gaelic
- koma inn á, drepa á, umtal, minnast á, geta, impra á, vekja máls á, orða, hafa orð á, víkja að, nefna, koma á framfæriIcelandic
- спомнува, напомена, споменување, спомнување, напоменуваMacedonian
- vermelding, vermeldenDutch
- nemneNorwegian Nynorsk
- omtale, nevneNorwegian
- wspominać, wzmianka, wspomniećPolish
- упомяну́ть, упомина́ть, ссы́лка, упомина́ниеRussian
- omnämna, omnämnande, nämnaSwedish
- söz etmek, bahsetmek, söylemek, dile getirmek, değinmekTurkish
- đề cậpVietnamese
Get even more translations for mention »
Find a translation for the mention definition in other languages:
Select another language: