Definitions for meanmin
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word mean
mean, mean value(adj)
an average of n numbers computed by adding some function of the numbers and dividing by some function of n
approximating the statistical norm or average or expected value
"the average income in New England is below that of the nation"; "of average height for his age"; "the mean annual rainfall"
characterized by malice
"a hateful thing to do"; "in a mean mood"
base, mean, meanspirited(adj)
having or showing an ignoble lack of honor or morality
"that liberal obedience without which your army would be a base rabble"- Edmund Burke; "taking a mean advantage"; "chok'd with ambition of the meaner sort"- Shakespeare; "something essentially vulgar and meanspirited in politics"
"famous for a mean backhand"
marked by poverty befitting a beggar
"a beggarly existence in the slums"; "a mean hut"
mean, mingy, miserly, tight(adj)
(used of persons or behavior) characterized by or indicative of lack of generosity
"a mean person"; "he left a miserly tip"
(used of sums of money) so small in amount as to deserve contempt
of no value or worth
"I was caught in the bastardly traffic"
mean or intend to express or convey
"You never understand what I mean!"; "what do his words intend?"
entail, imply, mean(verb)
have as a logical consequence
"The water shortage means that we have to stop taking long showers"
mean, intend, signify, stand for(verb)
denote or connote
"`maison' means `house' in French"; "An example sentence would show what this word means"
intend, mean, think(verb)
have in mind as a purpose
"I mean no harm"; "I only meant to help you"; "She didn't think to harm me"; "We thought to return early that night"
have a specified degree of importance
"My ex-husband means nothing to me"; "Happiness means everything"
think of, have in mind, mean(verb)
intend to refer to
"I'm thinking of good food when I talk about France"; "Yes, I meant you when I complained about people who gossip!"
destine or designate for a certain purpose
"These flowers were meant for you"
to have in the mind, as a purpose, intention, etc.; to intend; to purpose; to design; as, what do you mean to do ?
to signify; to indicate; to import; to denote
to have a purpose or intention
destitute of distinction or eminence; common; low; vulgar; humble
wanting dignity of mind; low-minded; base; destitute of honor; spiritless; as, a mean motive
of little value or account; worthy of little or no regard; contemptible; despicable
of poor quality; as, mean fare
penurious; stingy; close-fisted; illiberal; as, mean hospitality
occupying a middle position; middle; being about midway between extremes
intermediate in excellence of any kind
average; having an intermediate value between two extremes, or between the several successive values of a variable quantity during one cycle of variation; as, mean distance; mean motion; mean solar day
that which is mean, or intermediate, between two extremes of place, time, or number; the middle point or place; middle rate or degree; mediocrity; medium; absence of extremes or excess; moderation; measure
a quantity having an intermediate value between several others, from which it is derived, and of which it expresses the resultant value; usually, unless otherwise specified, it is the simple average, formed by adding the quantities together and dividing by their number, which is called an arithmetical mean. A geometrical mean is the square root of the product of the quantities
that through which, or by the help of which, an end is attained; something tending to an object desired; intermediate agency or measure; necessary condition or coagent; instrument
hence: Resources; property, revenue, or the like, considered as the condition of easy livelihood, or an instrumentality at command for effecting any purpose; disposable force or substance
a part, whether alto or tenor, intermediate between the soprano and base; a middle part
a mediator; a go-between
In mathematics, mean has several different definitions depending on the context. In probability and statistics, mean and expected value are used synonymously to refer to one measure of the central tendency either of a probability distribution or of the random variable characterized by that distribution. In the case of a discrete probability distribution of a random variable X, the mean is equal to the sum over every possible value weighted by the probability of that value; that is, it is computed by taking the product of each possible value x of X and its probability P(x), and then adding all these products together, giving . An analogous formula applies to the case of a continuous probability distribution. Not every probability distribution has a defined mean; see the Cauchy distribution for an example. Moreover, for some distributions the mean is infinite: for example, when the probability of the value is for n = 1, 2, 3, .... For a data set, the terms arithmetic mean, mathematical expectation, and sometimes average are used synonymously to refer to a central value of a discrete set of numbers: specifically, the sum of the values divided by the number of values. The arithmetic mean of a set of numbers x1, x2, ..., xn is typically denoted by, pronounced "x bar". If the data set were based on a series of observations obtained by sampling from a statistical population, the arithmetic mean is termed the sample mean to distinguish it from the population mean.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'mean' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #484
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'mean' in Written Corpus Frequency: #78
Rank popularity for the word 'mean' in Verbs Frequency: #27
Rank popularity for the word 'mean' in Adjectives Frequency: #487
Translations for mean
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- خسيس, لئيم, عنىArabic
- significar, voler dir, pretendre, mitjana, migCatalan, Valencian
- znamenat, plánovat, chtít, aritmetický průměr, prostředekCzech
- betyde, mene, middelDanish
- mittelmäßig, gemein, böse, bedeuten, beabsichtigen, meinen, Mittel, Mittel-German
- άγριος, άθλιος, κακός, μέσος όρος, μέσοςGreek
- kruela, malafabla, malbonkvalita, voli diri, signifi, intenci, rimedo, mezaEsperanto
- malo, malvado, tacaño, desconsiderado, inferior, formidable, mezquino, cruel, producir, decir en serio, pretender, significar, querer decir, proponer, resultar, intentar, medio, media, recurso, reclamar, apiadarse, compadecerse, lamentarse, significaráSpanish
- anker, gaiztoBasque
- ilkeä, tarkoittaa, tietää, merkitä, aikoa, väline, keskiarvo, tapa, keino, keski-Finnish
- cruel, inférieur, méchant, inférieure, signifier, vouloir dire, avoir l'intention, moyenne, moyenFrench
- ciallaich, meadhan, cuibheas, cuibheasachdScottish Gaelic
- התכוון, אמצעיHebrew
- significar, ressource, media, medio, medieInterlingua
- meina, ætla, þýða, meðaltal, hreint meðaltal, innliður, milliliður, venjulegt meðaltalIcelandic
- inferiore, eccellente, violento, formidabile, insignificante, meschino, favoloso, ignobile, maligno, potente, taccagno, avaro, gretto, malevolo, fantastico, furioso, sgarbato, mediocre, spilorcio, cattivo, voler dire, intendere, avere l'intenzione, significare, volere, portare, mezzo, media, medioItalian
- 卑劣, 悪い, 腹黒い, 汚い, 劣る, 卑しい, 意地悪, 厄介, するつもり, 意味, 意図, 平均値, 平均, 平均的Japanese
- volo, significo, indicō, habeo in animoLatin
- nekrietns, zemisksLatvian
- gemeen, boosaardig, minderwaardig, bedoelen, betekenen, willen, menen, willen zeggen, van plan zijn, middel, gemiddelde, gemiddeldDutch
- chcieć, znaczyćPolish
- inferior, maldoso, formidável, terrível, excelente, ruim, mesquinho, tacanho, cruel, avarento, mau, ótimo, tencionar, falar sério, representar, significar, querer dizer, indicar, querer, pretender, média, alto, passo, recurso, meio, lamentar, compadecer-se, apiedar-se, médio, mediano, reclamarPortuguese
- a vrea să spună, indica, gândi, vrea, a semnifica, avea intenția, am convingerea, însemna, mediu, medie, mijlocRomanian
- зло́бный, злой, по́длый, означа́ть, думать, име́ть в виду́, зна́чить, намерева́ться, собира́ться, сре́днее, сре́дство, сре́днийRussian
- elak, usel, gemen, innebära, mena, betyda, syfta på, tänka, genomsnitt, medelvärde, genomsnittlig, medel-Swedish
- నాణ్యత లేని, కారణమగుట, భయంకరమైన, దురుసు, కష్ట సాధ్యము, స్వార్ధము, శక్తివంతమైన, పాడుచేయు, అనుకోవడము, అనుకొనుట, ఫలితము, అర్ధం ఏమిటి, పధకము వేయు, పూర్తి అయిందిTelugu
- หมายความ, ตั้งใจ, หมายถึงThai
- cimri, yolTurkish
Get even more translations for mean »
Find a translation for the mean definition in other languages:
Select another language: