magician, prestidigitator, conjurer, conjuror, illusionist(noun)
someone who performs magic tricks to amuse an audience
sorcerer, magician, wizard, necromancer, thaumaturge, thaumaturgist(noun)
one who practices magic or sorcery
An entertainer who produces seemingly magical effects by clever illusions; most magicians admit that the craft is mere illusion, rather than a true supernatural art.
Origin: [F. magicien. See Magic, n.]
A person who plays with or practices allegedly supernatural magic.
A spiritualist or practitioner of mystic arts .
A performer of tricks or an escapologist.
An amazingly talented craftsman or scientist.
A person who astounds, is an enigma.
one skilled in magic; one who practices the black art; an enchanter; a necromancer; a sorcerer or sorceress; a conjurer
Origin: [F. magicien. See Magic, n.]
A magician is a practitioner of magic that has the ability to attain objectives or acquire knowledge wisdom using supernatural or nonrational means. Some modern magicians, such as Aleister Crowley and those who follow the traditions of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn and Ordo Templi Orientis, describe magic in rational terms, using definitions, postulates and theorems. Aleister Crowley said "the magician of the future will use mathematical formulas". The paranormal kind of magician can also be referred to as an enchanter, wizard, mage, magus, or thaumaturgist. These overlapping terms may be distinguished by some traditions or some writers. When such distinctions are made, sorcerers are more often practitioners of evocations or black magic, and there may be variations on level and type of power associated with each name. Some names, distinctions, or aspects may have more of a negative connotation than others, depending on the setting and the context.
The numerical value of magician in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of magician in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
God is not a magician with a magic wand.
A magician pulls rabbits out of hats. An experimental psychologist pulls habits out of rats.
Watching foreign affairs is sometimes like watching a magician the eye is drawn to the hand performing the dramatic flourishes, leaving the other hand-the one doing the important job-unnoticed.
Because I have been a magician for many years, people have often asked me whether I ever have sawn a woman in half. I reply, Oh, yes I've sawn over seventy women in half in my lifetime, and I'm learning the second half of the trick now.
If I could say for sure we would break the jinx and win the trophy I would have to be a magician and I am not a magician, I am just a coach, it's a great honor for the club to see them pick up these personal trophies but the most important thing is that they all said to me they were only interested in winning the title.
Images & Illustrations of magician
Translations for magician
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- маг, чараўні́кBelarusian
- маг, чароде́й, магьосник, вълше́бник, вещерBulgarian
- fetiller, mag, màgicCatalan, Valencian
- Illusionskünstlerin, Magier, Zauberer, Zaubrerin, Magierin, Zaubrer, Zauberkünstlerin, Zauberin, Zauberkünstler, IllusionskünstlerGerman
- iluziisto, sorĉistoEsperanto
- mago, fenómenoSpanish
- maag, võlur, illusionist, mustkunstnikEstonian
- جادوگر, ساحرPersian
- mystikko, taikuri, illusionisti, velho, ilmiöFinnish
- tsjoenderWestern Frisian
- draoidhScottish Gaelic
- mágus, bűvészHungarian
- վհուկ, կախարդArmenian
- dukun, tukang sulapIndonesian
- mago, stregoneItalian
- 魔術師, 魔法使いJapanese
- ჯადოქარი, გრძნეულიGeorgian
- 마술사, 魔術師Korean
- magus, mysticusLatin
- ຜູ້ວິເສດ, ນະເລນLao
- burtininkas, magasLithuanian
- burvis, burveLatvian
- ahli silap mataMalay
- magiër, tovenaar, goochelaar, illusionistDutch
- tryllekunstnarNorwegian Nynorsk
- trollmann, magikerNorwegian
- czarodziej, magik, czarownikPolish
- fenômeno, feiticeiro, mago, mágico, ilusionista, bruxoPortuguese
- magician, vrăjitorRomanian
- маг, фо́кусник, колдун, чародей, чароде́й, волшебник, заклина́тельRussian
- маг, čarobnjak, мађионичар, mag, mađioničar, чаробњакSerbo-Croatian
- trollkonstnär, trollkäring, magiker, trollkarl, trollkona, trollgubbe, illusionist, trollpackaSwedish
- sihirbaz, büyücüTurkish
- маг, чарівни́кUkrainian
- phù thủyVietnamese
- jimagivan, himagivan, magivanVolapük
Get even more translations for magician »
Find a translation for the magician definition in other languages:
Select another language: