Definitions for lesbianˈlɛz bi ən
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word lesbian
lesbian, tribade, gay woman(noun)
a female homosexual
a resident of Lesbos
of or relating to or characterized by homosexual relations between woman
A homosexual female, a female who is sexually or romantically attracted to other females.
Homosexual; preferring female romantic or sexual partners.
She is lesbian.
Homosexual, specifically between two women.
Intended for lesbians.
We're going to a lesbian bar tonight.
An inhabitant of Lesbos
A homosexual woman.
Of or pertaining to the island of Lesbos.
She is lesbian.
(used of women) Homosexual.
Origin: From Lesbius + adjective suffix -an, from Latin adjective suffix -anus, -ana. The sense of ‘homosexual’ is a reference to Sappho, a famous Lesbian and lesbian poet.
of or pertaining to the island anciently called Lesbos, now Mitylene, in the Grecian Archipelago
Lesbian is the term most widely used in the English language to describe sexual and romantic attraction between females. The word may be used as a noun, to refer to women who identify themselves or who are characterized by others as having the primary attribute of female homosexuality, or as an adjective, to describe characteristics of an object or activity related to female same-sex attraction. "Lesbian" as a concept, used to differentiate women with a shared sexual orientation, is a 20th-century construct. Throughout history, women have not had the same freedom or independence to pursue homosexual relationships as men, but neither have they met the same harsh punishment as homosexual men in some societies. Instead, lesbian relationships have often been regarded as harmless and incomparable to heterosexual ones unless the participants attempted to assert privileges traditionally enjoyed by men. As a result, little in history has been documented to give an accurate description of how female homosexuality has been expressed. When early sexologists in the late 19th century began to categorize and describe homosexual behavior, hampered by a lack of knowledge about the female homosexuality or women's sexuality, they distinguished lesbians as women who did not adhere to female gender roles and incorrectly designated them mentally ill - a designation which has been reversed in the global scientific community.
Translations for lesbian
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- lesbiër, lesbiërs, lesbiesAfrikaans
- سحاقي, ليزبيان, سحاقية, مثليهArabic
- лесбійскі, лесбія́нкаBelarusian
- лесби́йка, лесбийскиBulgarian
- lesbiana, lesbiàCatalan, Valencian
- lesbička, lesbickýCzech
- Lesbe, lesbisch, Lesben-, LesbierinGerman
- λεσβία, λεσβιακόςGreek
- lesbolainen, lesboFinnish
- lesbienne, lesbien, gouineFrench
- leasbachScottish Gaelic
- leszbikus, leszbia, leszbosziHungarian
- lesbica, lesbicoItalian
- レズビアン, レズ, 同性愛の女性Japanese
- лесбиянка, лесбиянKazakh
- ស្ដ្រីដែលប្រតិព័ទ្ធស្ដ្រីដូចគ្នា, ស្ត្រីស្រឡាញ់ស្ត្រីដូចគ្នាKhmer
- лесбиянка, лесбиянKyrgyz
- tribas, LesbiaciLatin
- Lesb, lesbeschLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- лезбејски, ле́збејкаMacedonian
- lesbo, lesbisch, lesbi, lesbienneDutch
- lesbijka, lesbijski, lesbijkiPolish
- sapatão, lésbica, lésbicoPortuguese
- lesbiană, lesbiRomanian
- лесбийский, лесбия́нка, лесбиянский, ле́сби, лесбиянкаRussian
- lesbaNorthern Sami
- лезбийка, лезбејка, lezbijka, лезбејски, lezbejski, lezbejkaSerbo-Croatian
- lesbický, lesbička, lesbaSlovak
- lezbijka, lezbičniSlovene
- flata, lesbiskSwedish
- หญิงรักร่วมเพศ, เลสเบี้ยนThai
- lezbiýanka, lezbiýanTurkmen
- lesbiyana, tomboy, tiboTagalog
- лесбія́нка, лесбійський, лесбі́йкаUkrainian
Get even more translations for lesbian »
Find a translation for the lesbian definition in other languages:
Select another language: