Definitions for leaveliv
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word leave
leave, leave of absence(noun)
the period of time during which you are absent from work or duty
"a ten day's leave to visit his mother"
permission to do something
"she was granted leave to speak"
farewell, leave, leave-taking, parting(verb)
the act of departing politely
"he disliked long farewells"; "he took his leave"; "parting is such sweet sorrow"
leave, go forth, go away(verb)
go away from a place
"At what time does your train leave?"; "She didn't leave until midnight"; "The ship leaves at midnight"
go and leave behind, either intentionally or by neglect or forgetfulness
"She left a mess when she moved out"; "His good luck finally left him"; "her husband left her after 20 years of marriage"; "she wept thinking she had been left behind"
act or be so as to become in a specified state
"The inflation left them penniless"; "The president's remarks left us speechless"
leave, leave alone, leave behind(verb)
leave unchanged or undisturbed or refrain from taking
"leave it as is"; "leave the young fawn alone"; "leave the flowers that you see in the park behind"
exit, go out, get out, leave(verb)
move out of or depart from
"leave the room"; "the fugitive has left the country"
leave, allow for, allow, provide(verb)
make a possibility or provide opportunity for; permit to be attainable or cause to remain
"This leaves no room for improvement"; "The evidence allows only one conclusion"; "allow for mistakes"; "leave lots of time for the trip"; "This procedure provides for lots of leeway"
leave, result, lead(verb)
have as a result or residue
"The water left a mark on the silk dress"; "Her blood left a stain on the napkin"
leave, depart, pull up stakes(verb)
remove oneself from an association with or participation in
"She wants to leave"; "The teenager left home"; "She left her position with the Red Cross"; "He left the Senate after two terms"; "after 20 years with the same company, she pulled up stakes"
put into the care or protection of someone
"He left the decision to his deputy"; "leave your child the nurse's care"
bequeath, will, leave(verb)
leave or give by will after one's death
"My aunt bequeathed me all her jewelry"; "My grandfather left me his entire estate"
have left or have as a remainder
"That left the four of us"; "19 minus 8 leaves 11"
leave, leave behind(verb)
be survived by after one's death
"He left six children"; "At her death, she left behind her husband and 11 cats"
impart, leave, give, pass on(verb)
transmit (knowledge or skills)
"give a secret to the Russians"; "leave your name and address here"; "impart a new skill to the students"
leave behind unintentionally
"I forgot my umbrella in the restaurant"; "I left my keys inside the car and locked the doors"
to send out leaves; to leaf; -- often with out
to raise; to levy
liberty granted by which restraint or illegality is removed; permission; allowance; license
the act of leaving or departing; a formal parting; a leaving; farewell; adieu; -- used chiefly in the phrase, to take leave, i. e., literally, to take permission to go
to withdraw one's self from; to go away from; to depart from; as, to leave the house
to let remain unremoved or undone; to let stay or continue, in distinction from what is removed or changed
to cease from; to desist from; to abstain from
to desert; to abandon; to forsake; hence, to give up; to relinquish
to let be or do without interference; as, I left him to his reflections; I leave my hearers to judge
to put; to place; to deposit; to deliver; to commit; to submit -- with a sense of withdrawing one's self from; as, leave your hat in the hall; we left our cards; to leave the matter to arbitrators
to have remaining at death; hence, to bequeath; as, he left a large estate; he left a good name; he left a legacy to his niece
to depart; to set out
to cease; to desist; to leave off
Origin: [See Levy.]
Leave is Singaporean Mandopop artist Stefanie Sun's fourth Mandarin studio album. It was released on 21 May 2002 by Warner Music Taiwan. The album features the English and Mandarin version of "一起走到", the theme song of Sing Singapore for the 2002 National Day Parade. The album was awarded one of the Top 10 Selling Mandarin Albums of the Year at the 2002 IFPI Hong Kong Album Sales Awards, presented by the Hong Kong branch of IFPI.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'leave' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #573
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'leave' in Written Corpus Frequency: #333
Rank popularity for the word 'leave' in Nouns Frequency: #1732
Rank popularity for the word 'leave' in Verbs Frequency: #29
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of leave
Translations for leave
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- verlof, verlaat, erf, gaan vertrekAfrikaans
- ترك, غادر, غادَرَArabic
- пакінуць, пакідацьBelarusian
- оставя, предам, изоставям, напусна, замина, тръгвам, тръгна, оставям, завещавам, завещая, предавам, изоставя, напускам, заминавамBulgarian
- deixar, sortir, permís, dipositar, partir, comiatCatalan, Valencian
- nechat, přenechat, zanechat, opustitCzech
- caniatad, gadawiad, gadael, seibiant, gwyliauWelsh
- forlade, permission, frihed, efterlade, tilladelse, orlov, afskedDanish
- Abschied, hinterlassen, verlassen, weggehen, Verlaub, Beurlaubung, zurücklassen, gehen, Erlaubnis, Freistellung, Urlaub, lassenGerman
- άδεια, αφήνω, φεύγωGreek
- foriri, ekiriEsperanto
- partir, despedida, dejar, depositar, irse, permiso, salir, legar, [[salir#SpanishSpanish
- jättää, lähteä, vapaaFinnish
- quitter, [[partir#French, permission, congé, laisser, oublier, partirFrench
- fág, tiomnaigh, imighIrish
- falbh, fàgScottish Gaelic
- עזב, השאירHebrew
- indul, elindul, elutazikHungarian
- թողնել, լքելArmenian
- izin, Cuti, Berangkat, tinggalIndonesian
- livar, departarIdo
- partire, permesso, partenza, dimenticare, lasciareItalian
- 残す, 引き離れる, 出発, 引き離す, 去るJapanese
- 떠나다, 나가다Korean
- abambulo, decedo, discedo, proficiscor, descisco, desero, lego, pono, colo, egredior, exeō, abeoLatin
- verlof, deponeren, overdragen, laten, verlaten, achterlaten, weggaan, nalaten, overlaten, beëindigen, vertrekken, toestemmingDutch
- tillatelse, etterlate, forlate, løyveNorwegian
- partir, daissarOccitan
- zostawić, odejść, urlop, opuścićPolish
- deixar, sair, licença, afastamento, partida, partir, permissão, saídaPortuguese
- schar, lascher, laschar, partir, parteirRomansh
- pleca, lăsaRomanian
- покидать, уходить, бросить, уйти, уезжать, отпуск, оставлять, покинуть, оставить, предоставить, поручить, передавать, передать, поручать, бросать, разрешение, позволение, уехать, побывка, предоставлятьRussian
- lassai, lassareSardinian
- zapustiti, oditi, pustitiSlovene
- tillåtelse, kvar, lämna, lov, ledighet, avsked, kvarlåta, avresaSwedish
- toka, kuondokaSwahili
- покинути, покидатиUkrainian
- bỏ, rời khỏiVietnamese
Get even more translations for leave »
Find a translation for the leave definition in other languages:
Select another language: