Definitions for kindergartenˈkɪn dərˌgɑr tn, -dn
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word kindergarten
a preschool for children age 4 to 6 to prepare them for primary school
An educational institution for young children, usually between ages 4 and 6; nursery school.
a school for young children, conducted on the theory that education should be begun by gratifying and cultivating the normal aptitude for exercise, play, observation, imitation, and construction; -- a name given by Friedrich Froebel, a German educator, who introduced this method of training, in rooms opening on a garden
Origin: [G., lit., children's garden; kinder (pl. of kind child, akin to E. kin kindred) + garten garden.]
A kindergarten is a preschool educational institution for children. The term was created by Friedrich Fröbel for the play and activity institute that he created in 1837 in Bad Blankenburg as a social experience for children for their transition from home to school. His goal was that children should be taken care of and nourished in "children's gardens" like plants in a garden. The term kindergarten is used around the world to describe a variety of different institutions that have been developed for children ranging from the ages of two to seven, depending on the country concerned. Many of the activities developed by Fröbel are also used around the world under other names. Singing and growing plants have become an integral part of lifelong learning. Playing, activities, experience, and social interaction are now widely accepted as essential aspects of developing skills and knowledge. In most countries, kindergartens are part of the preschool system of early childhood education. In the United States, as well as in parts of Australia, such as New South Wales, Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory, kindergarten is the word often restricted in use to describe the first year of education in a primary or elementary school. In some of these countries, it is compulsory; that is, parents must send children to their kindergarten year. In other parts of Australia, the term 'preps' is used for compulsory pre-school, and kindergarten refers to regulated day-care for 3- and 4-year-old children.
The Nuttall Encyclopedia
schools conducted according to Froebel's system for the development of the power of observation and the memory of young children.
The Roycroft Dictionary
The greatest scheme ever devised--for the education of parents.
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
From Ger. _kinder_, children, and Lat. _garritus_, a babbling. A place for babbling children.
Translations for kindergarten
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- روضة أطفال, رياض, رياض أطفال, روضةArabic
- uşaq bağçasıAzerbaijani
- дзіця́чы садBelarusian
- де́тска гради́наBulgarian
- školka, mateřská školaCzech
- ача панчиChuvash
- Kindergarten, VorschuleGerman
- kínder, parvulario, jardín infantil, jardín de infanciaSpanish
- lastentarha, päiväkoti, tarhaFinnish
- jardin d'enfants, maternelleFrench
- גַּן, גַן יְלָדִיםHebrew
- taman kanak-kanakIndonesian
- საბავშვო ბაღიGeorgian
- meeqqerivik, paaqqinniffik, børnehaveKalaallisut, Greenlandic
- 幼稚園, 유치원Korean
- балдар бакчасыKyrgyz
- vaikų darželisLithuanian
- де́тска гра́динкаMacedonian
- хүүхдийн цэцэрлэгMongolian
- tadika, kindergarten, taman bimbingan kanak-kanak, taman didikan kanak-kanak, tabikaMalay
- dzieciniec, przedszkolePolish
- parquinho, jardim, jardim de infânciaPortuguese
- са́дик, сад, де́тский са́дик, де́тский сад, детса́дик, детса́дRussian
- obdanište, vrtić, обданиште, вртић, zabavište, забавиштеSerbo-Croatian
- materská školaSlovak
- förskola, dagis, lekskola, lekis, daghemSwedish
- боғчаи бачагон, кӯдакистон, боғчаи бачагонаTajik
- балалар бакчасыTatar
- дитя́чий сад, дитя́чий садо́кUkrainian
- bolalar bogʻchasiUzbek
- vườn trẻ, nhà trẻ, mẫu giáoVietnamese
Get even more translations for kindergarten »
Find a translation for the kindergarten definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these kindergarten definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"kindergarten." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2015. Web. 2 Sep. 2015. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/kindergarten>.