Definitions for kenkɛn
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
kenkɛn(n.; v.)kenned; kent, ken•ning.
(n.)knowledge or understanding:
an idea beyond one's ken.
range of sight or vision.
(v.t.)Chiefly Scot. to understand or know about.
Archaic. to see; recognize.
(v.i.)Chiefly Scot. to know; understand.
Origin of ken:
bef. 900; ME kennen to make known, see, know, OE cennan to make known, declare; c. OHG chennen, ON kenna, Go kannjan; akin to can1
Category: Geography (places)
range of what one can know or understand
"beyond my ken"
the range of vision
"out of sight of land"
Knowledge or perception.
Range of sight.
To know, perceive or understand.
To discover by sight; to catch sight of; to descry.
A diminutive of the male given name Kenneth.
Origin: Northern and Scottish dialects from cennan originally “make to know”, causative of cunnan, from kenna, from kannijanan, causative of . Cognate to kennen.
a house; esp., one which is a resort for thieves
to know; to understand; to take cognizance of
to recognize; to descry; to discern
to look around
cognizance; view; especially, reach of sight or knowledge
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. [Unix] Ken Thompson, principal inventor of Unix. In the early days he used to hand-cut distribution tapes, often with a note that read “Love, ken”. Old-timers still use his first name (sometimes uncapitalized, because it's a login name and mail address) in third-person reference; it is widely understood (on Usenet, in particular) that without a last name ‘Ken’ refers only to Ken Thompson. Similarly, ‘Dennis’ without last name means Dennis Ritchie (and he is often known as dmr). See also demigod, Unix. 2. A flaming user. This was originated by the Software Support group at Symbolics because the two greatest flamers in the user community were both named Ken.
Translations for ken
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
to (cause to) go (often more widely or more thinly) over a surface
She spread honey thickly on her toast.
- espalhar(-se)Portuguese (BR)
- απλώνω, απλώνομαιGreek
- (peale) määrima, võidmaEstonian
- گسترش يافتنFarsi
- फैलाना, फैलनाHindi
- mazati, prekritiCroatian
- dreifa, smyrjaIcelandic
- spre, smøre, bre utoverNorwegian
- pokrywać, smarowaćPolish
- a ungeRomanian
- natrieť, potrieťSlovak
- breda (sprida) utSwedish
- 使伸展，使延伸Chinese (Trad.)
- کسی شے کو پھیلانا، پھیلناUrdu
- giăng, bày raVietnamese
- 伸开，展开，伸展Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for ken »