Definitions for inciteɪnˈsaɪt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word incite
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
to stimulate to action; urge on; stir up.
* Syn: incite , rouse , provoke mean to goad or inspire an individual or group to take some action or express some feeling. incite means to induce activity of any kind, although it often refers to violent or uncontrolled behavior: incited to greater effort; incited to rebellion. rouse is used in a similar way, but has an underlying sense of awakening from sleep or inactivity: to rouse an apathetic team. provoke means to stir to sudden, strong feeling or vigorous action: Kicking the animal provoked it to attack.
Origin of incite:
1475–85; < L incitāre=in-in -2+citāre to start up, excite
motivate, actuate, propel, move, prompt, incite(verb)
give an incentive for action
"This moved me to sacrifice my career"
incite, instigate, set off, stir up(verb)
provoke or stir up
"incite a riot"; "set off great unrest among the people"
prod, incite, egg on(verb)
urge on; cause to act
"The other children egged the boy on, but he did not want to throw the stone through the window"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
to provoke an emotion or violent action
to incite racial hatred; guilty of inciting a riot
To rouse, stir up or excite.
The judge was told by the accused that his friends had to incite him to commit the crime.
to move to action; to stir up; to rouse; to spur or urge on
Translations for incite
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
to urge (someone) to do something
He incited the people to rebel against the king.
- يُشَجِّع على، يُحَرِّضArabic
- incitarPortuguese (BR)
- tilskynde; opildneDanish
- incitar, provocarSpanish
- تحریک کردنFarsi
- inciter (à)French
- poticati, huškatiCroatian
- hvetja,ÿta undir, egnaIcelandic
- kurstyti, skatintiLithuanian
- kūdīt; musinātLatvian
- egge, provosere, tilskyndeNorwegian
- تحریک کردنPersian
- a incita (la)Romanian
- egga, sporraSwedish
- 鼓吹Chinese (Trad.)
- збуджувати, спонукатиUkrainian
- thúc épVietnamese
- 激励Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for incite »
Find a translation for the incite definition in other languages:
Select another language: