migration into a place (especially migration to a country of which you are not a native in order to settle there)
the body of immigrants arriving during a specified interval
"the increased immigration strengthened the colony"
The act of immigrating; the passing or coming into a country for the purpose of permanent residence.
the act of immigrating; the passing or coming into a country for the purpose of permanent residence
Origin: [Cf. F. immigration.]
Immigration is the movement of people into another country or region to which they are not native in order to settle there. Immigration is a result of: including temperature, breeding, economic, political, family re-unification, natural disaster, poverty or the wish to change one's surroundings voluntarily.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'immigration' in Nouns Frequency: #2882
The numerical value of immigration in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of immigration in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Immigration is the sincerest form of flattery.
Be careful in revising those immigration laws of yours.
We got careless with ours.
We should not cease to be hospitable to immigration, but we should cease to be careless as to the character of it.
To name oneself is the first act of both the poet and the revolutionary. When we take away the right to an individual name, we symbolically take away the right to be an individual. Immigration officials did this to refugees; husbands routinely do it to wives.
He's very, very weak on immigration and I'm very strong on immigration, ben Carson is very, very weak on immigration. He believes in amnesty strongly. He believes in citizenship. He's going to give citizenship to people who are here illegally -- you can't do that.
Images & Illustrations of immigration
Translations for immigration
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- immiqrasiya, hicrət, mühacirətAzerbaijani
- přistěhovalectví, imigraceCzech
- Immigration, EinwanderungGerman
- immigratsioon, ränneEstonian
- کوچ, مهاجرتPersian
- maahanmuutto, siirtolaisuusFinnish
- in-imrich, imrich a-steachScottish Gaelic
- 移住, 移民, 入植, イミグレーションJapanese
- көші-қон, иммиграцияKazakh
- 移民, 이주, 이민, 移住Korean
- четтен келүү, иммиграцияKyrgyz
- доселу́вање, имигра́цијаMacedonian
- imigrasi, imigresenMalay
- immigratie, inwijkingDutch
- imigrare, imigrațieRomanian
- переселе́ние, иммигра́цияRussian
- doseljenje, имиграција, useljenje, усељење, imigracija, досељењеSerbo-Croatian
- ආගමණයSinhala, Sinhalese
- kurbet, emigrim, mërgimAlbanian
- immigration, invandringSwedish
- การเข้าเมือง, เข้าเมืองThai
- nhập cưVietnamese
Get even more translations for immigration »
Find a translation for the immigration definition in other languages:
Select another language: