Definitions for illegalɪˈli gəl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word illegal
prohibited by law or by official or accepted rules
"an illegal chess move"
An illegal immigrant.
An illegal resident spy.
Contrary to or forbidden by law, especially criminal law.
Not permitted by rules
Moving a pawn backward is an illegal move in chess.
Totally fictitious, and often issued on behalf of a non-existent territory or country.
Being an illegal immigrant; residing in a country illegally.
Origin: From il- (an assimilated version of in-) + legal. In senses relating to immigration, via clipping from illegal alien or illegal immigrant.
not according to, or authorized by, law; specif., contrary to, or in violation of, human law; unlawful; illicit; hence, immoral; as, an illegal act; illegal trade; illegal love
Origin: [Pref. il- not + legal: cf. F. illgal.]
"Illegal" is the third and final single released from Shakira's second English language studio album, Oral Fixation Vol. 2. It features celebrated Mexican guitarist Carlos Santana. The song was released right after the massive worldwide success of "Hips Don't Lie". The radio release for "Illegal" in the United States and Canada was on November 14, 2006. The music video for the song premiered on November 16, 2006 on MTV's Total Request Live and debuted the next day at #9. It became a hit in countries like Latvia, and Ukraine.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
il-lē′gal, adj. contrary to law.—v.t. Illē′galīse, to render unlawful.—n. Illegal′ity, the quality or condition of being illegal.—adv. Illē′gally.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'illegal' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3866
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'illegal' in Written Corpus Frequency: #4792
Rank popularity for the word 'illegal' in Adjectives Frequency: #515
The numerical value of illegal in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of illegal in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of illegal
Translations for illegal
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- il·legalCatalan, Valencian
- rechtswidrig, illegalGerman
- άνομος, έκνομος, παράνομος, λαθρομετανάστης, απαγορευμένοςGreek
- [[laiton]] [[maahanmuuttaja]], vastainen, laitonFinnish
- sans-papiers, illégalFrench
- 違法, 不法, 不法入国者Japanese
- qaçax, yasax, memnûh, qedexe, derqanûn, neqanûnîKurdish
- недозволен, илегален, незаконит, незаконски, неправилен, нелегален, противзаконскиMacedonian
- illegaal, onwettig, sans-papiers, strafbaarDutch
- ilegal, nelegalRomanian
- [[нелега́льный]] [[иммигра́нт]], неве́рный, непра́вильный, нелега́лка, незако́нный, нелега́л, [[нелегальный, неправоме́рный, нелега́льныйRussian
- lagstridig, illegal, olagligSwedish
- yasa dışıTurkish
Get even more translations for illegal »
Find a translation for the illegal definition in other languages:
Select another language: