Definitions for illegalɪˈli gəl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word illegal
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
forbidden by law or statute.
contrary to or forbidden by official rules or regulations.
(n.)an illegal immigrant.
Category: Common Vocabulary
* Syn: illegal , unlawful , illicit , criminal describe actions not in accord with law. illegal refers to violation of statutes or, in games, codified rules: an illegal seizure of property; an illegal block in football. unlawful is a broader term that may refer to lack of conformity with any set of laws or precepts, whether natural, moral, or traditional: an unlawful transaction. illicit most often applies to matters regulated by law, with emphasis on the way things are carried out: the illicit sale of narcotics. criminal refers to violation of a public law that is punishable by a fine or imprisonment: Robbery is a criminal act.
Origin of illegal:
1620–30; < ML
prohibited by law or by official or accepted rules
"an illegal chess move"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
against the law
illegal substances; It is illegal to drink alcohol under the age of 21.
An illegal immigrant.
An illegal resident spy.
Contrary to or forbidden by law, especially criminal law.
Not permitted by rules
Moving a pawn backward is an illegal move in chess.
Totally fictitious, and often issued on behalf of a non-existent territory or country.
Being an illegal immigrant; residing in a country illegally.
Origin: From il- (an assimilated version of in-) + legal. In senses relating to immigration, via clipping from illegal alien or illegal immigrant.
not according to, or authorized by, law; specif., contrary to, or in violation of, human law; unlawful; illicit; hence, immoral; as, an illegal act; illegal trade; illegal love
"Illegal" is the third and final single released from Shakira's second English language studio album, Oral Fixation Vol. 2. It features celebrated Mexican guitarist Carlos Santana. The song was released right after the massive worldwide success of "Hips Don't Lie". The radio release for "Illegal" in the United States and Canada was on November 14, 2006. The music video for the song premiered on November 16, 2006 on MTV's Total Request Live and debuted the next day at #9. It became a hit in countries like Latvia, and Ukraine.
Translations for illegal
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
not allowed by the law; not legal
It is illegal to park a car here.
- غَيْر قانوني، غَيْر شَرْعيArabic
- ilegalPortuguese (BR)
- ulovlig; strafbar; illegalDanish
- غیر قانونیFarsi
- לא חוּקִיHebrew
- nedopušten, ilegalanCroatian
- törvénytelen, illegálisHungarian
- neteisėtas, nelegalusLithuanian
- nelikumīgs; pretlikumīgs; nelegālsLatvian
- tidak sahMalay
- ulovlig, illegal, lovstridigNorwegian
- غیر قانونیPersian
- غير قانونى، دقانونه مخالفPashto
- zakázaný, nezákonnýSlovak
- illegal, olagligSwedish
- kanuna aykırıTurkish
- 非法的，違法的Chinese (Trad.)
- незаконний; нелегальнийUkrainian
- غیر قانونیUrdu
- bất hợp phápVietnamese
- 非法的，违法的，不合规定的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for illegal »
Find a translation for the illegal definition in other languages:
Select another language: