Definitions for illegalɪˈli gəl
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
forbidden by law or statute.
contrary to or forbidden by official rules or regulations.
(n.)an illegal immigrant.
Category: Common Vocabulary
* Syn: illegal , unlawful , illicit , criminal describe actions not in accord with law. illegal refers to violation of statutes or, in games, codified rules: an illegal seizure of property; an illegal block in football. unlawful is a broader term that may refer to lack of conformity with any set of laws or precepts, whether natural, moral, or traditional: an unlawful transaction. illicit most often applies to matters regulated by law, with emphasis on the way things are carried out: the illicit sale of narcotics. criminal refers to violation of a public law that is punishable by a fine or imprisonment: Robbery is a criminal act.
Origin of illegal:
1620–30; < ML
prohibited by law or by official or accepted rules
"an illegal chess move"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
against the law
illegal substances; It is illegal to drink alcohol under the age of 21.
An illegal immigrant.
An illegal resident spy.
Contrary to or forbidden by law, especially criminal law.
Not permitted by rules
Moving a pawn backward is an illegal move in chess.
Totally fictitious, and often issued on behalf of a non-existent territory or country.
Being an illegal immigrant; residing in a country illegally.
Origin: From il- (an assimilated version of in-) + legal. In senses relating to immigration, via clipping from illegal alien or illegal immigrant.
not according to, or authorized by, law; specif., contrary to, or in violation of, human law; unlawful; illicit; hence, immoral; as, an illegal act; illegal trade; illegal love
Translations for illegal
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
not allowed by the law; not legal
It is illegal to park a car here.
- غَيْر قانوني، غَيْر شَرْعيArabic
- ilegalPortuguese (BR)
- ulovlig; strafbar; illegalDanish
- غیر قانونیFarsi
- לא חוּקִיHebrew
- nedopušten, ilegalanCroatian
- törvénytelen, illegálisHungarian
- neteisėtas, nelegalusLithuanian
- nelikumīgs; pretlikumīgs; nelegālsLatvian
- tidak sahMalay
- ulovlig, illegal, lovstridigNorwegian
- غیر قانونیPersian
- غير قانونى، دقانونه مخالفPashto
- zakázaný, nezákonnýSlovak
- illegal, olagligSwedish
- kanuna aykırıTurkish
- 非法的，違法的Chinese (Trad.)
- незаконний; нелегальнийUkrainian
- غیر قانونیUrdu
- bất hợp phápVietnamese
- 非法的，违法的，不合规定的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for illegal »