Definitions for ignorantˈɪg nər ənt
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
ig•no•rant*ˈɪg nər ənt(adj.)
lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned.
lacking special knowledge or information.
showing lack of knowledge or training.
* Syn: ignorant , illiterate mean lacking in knowledge or training. ignorant may mean knowing little or nothing, or it may mean uninformed about a particular subject: An ignorant person can be dangerous. I confess I'm ignorant of higher mathematics. illiterate most often means unable to read or write; however, it sometimes means not well-read or not well versed in literature: classes for illiterate soldiers; an illiterate mathematician.
Origin of ignorant:
1325–75; ME < L ignōrant-, s. of ignōrāns, prp. of ignōrāre to ignore
ignorant, nescient, unlearned, unlettered(adj)
uneducated in general; lacking knowledge or sophistication
"an ignorant man"; "nescient of contemporary literature"; "an unlearned group incapable of understanding complex issues"; "exhibiting contempt for his unlettered companions"
uneducated in the fundamentals of a given art or branch of learning; lacking knowledge of a specific field
"she is ignorant of quantum mechanics"; "he is musically illiterate"
ignorant, unknowledgeable, unknowing, unwitting(adj)
unaware because of a lack of relevant information or knowledge
"he was completely ignorant of the circumstances"; "an unknowledgeable assistant"; "his rudeness was unwitting"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
ignorant(adjective)ˈɪg nər ənt
lacking knowledge or understanding
A person can be ignorant without being stupid.; people who are ignorant of what is happening in the world
ignorantˈɪg nər ənt
a rude, ignorant old man
Unknowledgeable or uneducated; characterized by ignorance.
His manner was at best off-hand, at worst totally ignorant.
destitute of knowledge; uninstructed or uninformed; untaught; unenlightened
unacquainted with; unconscious or unaware; -- used with of
resulting from ignorance; foolish; silly
a person untaught or uninformed; one unlettered or unskilled; an ignoramous
Translations for ignorant
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
knowing very little
He's really very ignorant; – he ought to read more; I'm ignorant about money matters.
- ignorantePortuguese (BR)
- nevědomý; neznalýCzech
- αμαθής, αδαής, ανίδεοςGreek
- harimatu, asjatundmatuEstonian
- جاهل؛ بیسوادFarsi
- ciemny, niedouczonyPolish
- جاهل؛ بیسوادPersian
- ناپوه، جاهل، بې خبرهPashto
- nevedomý; ignorantskýSlovak
- cahil, bilgisizTurkish
- 無知的Chinese (Trad.)
- необізнаний, нетямущийUkrainian
- بے علمUrdu
- không biết, ngu dốtVietnamese
- 无知的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for ignorant »