Definitions for humilityhyuˈmɪl ɪ ti; often yu-
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word humility
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
hu•mil•i•tyhyuˈmɪl ɪ ti; often yu-(n.)
the quality or state of being humble; modest opinion of one's own importance or rank; meekness.
Origin of humility:
1275–1325; ME humilite < L humilitās; see humble , -ty2
a disposition to be humble; a lack of false pride
"not everyone regards humility as a virtue"
a humble feeling
"he was filled with humility at the sight of the Pope"
The characteristic of being humble; humbleness in character and behavior.
Origin: From humilite, from umilité, from humilitas, from humilis; see humble.
the state or quality of being humble; freedom from pride and arrogance; lowliness of mind; a modest estimate of one's own worth; a sense of one's own unworthiness through imperfection and sinfulness; self-abasement; humbleness
an act of submission or courtesy
Humility is the quality of being modest or respectful. Humility, in various interpretations, is widely seen as a virtue in many religious and philosophical traditions, being connected with notions of egolessness.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. The slippered patience of the disinherited. 2. The grogginess of the Ego. 3. To recede to the very bottom of one's own littleness. 4. The Marseillaise of the disappointed. 5. The odor of sanctity. 6. An Iago in plush and lavender. 7. Pride getting ready for a Pounce.
Translations for humility
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
Despite his powerful position in the government, he was still a man of great humility.
- humildadePortuguese (BR)
- die BescheidenheitGerman
- beskedenhed; ydmyghedDanish
- ταπεινότητα, ταπεινοφροσύνηGreek
- humildad, modestiaSpanish
- िनम्रता, दीनताHindi
- poniznost, skromnost, cednostCroatian
- kesederhanaan, kerendahan hatiIndonesian
- hógværð, auðmÿktIcelandic
- pazemība; pieticībaLatvian
- rendah hatiMalay
- ödmjukhet, anspråkslöshetSwedish
- alçak gönüllülükTurkish
- 謙卑Chinese (Trad.)
- покірність; скромністьUkrainian
- عاجزي، انکسارUrdu
- thái độ khiếm tốn; sự nhún nhườngVietnamese
- 谦卑Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for humility »
Find a translation for the humility definition in other languages:
Select another language: