Definitions for historyˈhɪs tə ri, ˈhɪs tri
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word history
the aggregate of past events
"a critical time in the school's history"
history, account, chronicle, story(noun)
a record or narrative description of past events
"a history of France"; "he gave an inaccurate account of the plot to kill the president"; "the story of exposure to lead"
the discipline that records and interprets past events involving human beings
"he teaches Medieval history"; "history takes the long view"
the continuum of events occurring in succession leading from the past to the present and even into the future
"all of human history"
all that is remembered of the past as preserved in writing; a body of knowledge
"the dawn of recorded history"; "from the beginning of history"
The aggregate of past events.
The branch of knowledge that studies the past; the assessment of notable events.
A set of events involving an entity.
A record or narrative description of past events.
The list of past and continuing medical conditions of an individual or family.
A record of previous user events; specifically, a browser history, a history of visited Web pages.
I visited a great site yesterday but forgot the URL; oh! ... luckily I didn't clear my history.
Something that no longer exists or is no longer relevant.
I told him that if he doesn't get his act together, he's history.
a learning or knowing by inquiry; the knowledge of facts and events, so obtained; hence, a formal statement of such information; a narrative; a description; a written record; as, the history of a patient's case; the history of a legislative bill
a systematic, written account of events, particularly of those affecting a nation, institution, science, or art, and usually connected with a philosophical explanation of their causes; a true story, as distinguished from a romance; -- distinguished also from annals, which relate simply the facts and events of each year, in strict chronological order; from biography, which is the record of an individual's life; and from memoir, which is history composed from personal experience, observation, and memory
to narrate or record
History is an umbrella term that relates to past events as well as the discovery, collection, organization, and presentation of information about these events. The term includes cosmic, geologic, and organic history, but is often generically implied to mean human history. Scholars who write about history are called historians. History can also refer to the academic discipline which uses a narrative to examine and analyse a sequence of past events, and objectively determine the patterns of cause and effect that determine them. Historians sometimes debate the nature of history and its usefulness by discussing the study of the discipline as an end in itself and as a way of providing "perspective" on the problems of the present. Stories common to a particular culture, but not supported by external sources are usually classified as cultural heritage or legends, because they do not support the "disinterested investigation" required of the discipline of history. Events occurring prior to written record are considered prehistory. Herodotus, a 5th-century B.C. Greek historian is considered within the Western tradition to be the "father of history", and, along with his contemporary Thucydides, helped form the foundations for the modern study of human history. Their work continues to be read today and the divide between the culture-focused Herodotus and the military-focused Thucydides remains a point of contention or approach in modern historical writing. In the Eastern tradition, a state chronicle the Spring and Autumn Annals was known to be compiled from as early as 722 BCE although only 2nd century BCE texts survived.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. A collection of epitaphs. 2. Gossip well told.
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
The evil that men do.
history is the study of past and present without future.
this is because the future of the past are in the present and the future of the present are in the past
Is the study and interpretation of chronological data or information relating to periods of time, events that occurred and is also an educational subject that is part of a course of study or curriculum.
History is a school subject you can choose to learn about and also a course of study in some universities.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'history' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #462
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'history' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1070
Rank popularity for the word 'history' in Nouns Frequency: #182
Images & Illustrations of history
Translations for history
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- история, исто́рияBulgarian
- història, historialCatalan, Valencian
- historie, dějepis, dějiny, zdravotní kartaCzech
- hanes, [[hanes]] ([[meddygol]]), [[hanes]] ([[cyfrifiadurol]]), astudiaethWelsh
- beretning, historieDanish
- Verlauf, Geschichtswissenschaft, Geschichte, ErzählungGerman
- ιστορικό, ιστορίαGreek
- registro, historia, historial, historia clínica, antecedentesSpanish
- ajalugu, haigusluguEstonian
- پیشینه, تاریخ, تاریخچه, سابقهPersian
- histoire, historique, passéFrench
- eachdraidhScottish Gaelic
- तारीख़, इतिहासHindi
- istwaHaitian Creole
- történet, történelem, kórtörténet, múlt, históriaHungarian
- պատմագիտություն, պատմությունArmenian
- sagnfræði, sagaIcelandic
- precedenti, storiaItalian
- 沿革, 履歴, 歴史, 経過, 診療録, 経歴, 既往歴, カルテ, 病歴Japanese
- ប្រវត្តិសាស្ត្រ, ប្រវត្តិ, ប្រវត្តិវិទ្យាKhmer
- 역사, 歷史, 병력, 사학Korean
- مێژوو, dîrokKurdish
- istorija, ligos istorijaLithuanian
- vēsture, slimības vēstureLatvian
- storja, arkivjiMaltese
- သမိုင်း, အဖြစ်အပျက်ပါသောစာBurmese
- историOssetian, Ossetic
- [[historia]] [[choroba, historiaPolish
- documentário, histórico, [[histórico]] [[médico]], históriaPortuguese
- istorie, povestireRomanian
- история, исто́рия, история болезниRussian
- pȍvēst, hìstōrija, хѝсто̄рија, ѝсто̄рија, по̏вије̄ст, pȍvijēst, ìstōrija, по̏ве̄ст, pȍvijēst bȍlēsti, anamnézaSerbo-Croatian
- ඉතිහාසය, පුරාවෘත්තයSinhala, Sinhalese
- história, dejepis, dejinySlovak
- zgodovina, zgodovinopisje, preteklostSlovene
- berättelse, historia, historik, loggSwedish
- చరితం, చరిత, చరిత్రTelugu
- تارىخUyghur, Uighur
- تاریخ, اتہاسUrdu
- lịch sử, 歷史Vietnamese
Get even more translations for history »
Find a translation for the history definition in other languages:
Select another language: