Definitions for heavenˈhɛv ən
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word heaven
Eden, paradise, nirvana, heaven, promised land, Shangri-la(noun)
any place of complete bliss and delight and peace
the abode of God and the angels
No sooner had we left the house than the heavens opened.
The paradise of the afterlife in certain religions, considered to be the home of the god or gods of those religions, and often the home, or one of various possible homes, of souls of deceased people.
Mommyu2019s gone to heaven to be with God.
A blissful place or experience.
Soaking in a warm bath after a long day at work is sheer heaven.
derived from Evan with a folk etymology spelling.
of modern usage from the noun heaven.
the expanse of space surrounding the earth; esp., that which seems to be over the earth like a great arch or dome; the firmament; the sky; the place where the sun, moon, and stars appear; -- often used in the plural in this sense
the dwelling place of the Deity; the abode of bliss; the place or state of the blessed after death
the sovereign of heaven; God; also, the assembly of the blessed, collectively; -- used variously in this sense, as in No. 2
any place of supreme happiness or great comfort; perfect felicity; bliss; a sublime or exalted condition; as, a heaven of delight
to place in happiness or bliss, as if in heaven; to beatify
Heaven, the Heavens or Seven Heavens, is a common religious, cosmological, mythological, or metaphysical term for the physical or transcendent place from which heavenly beings originate, are enthroned or inhabit. It is commonly believed that heavenly beings can descend to earth or incarnate and that earthly beings can ascend to Heaven in the afterlife or, in exceptional cases, enter Heaven alive. Heaven is often described as a "higher place", the holiest place, a Paradise, in contrast to Hell or the Underworld or the "low places", and universally or conditionally accessible by earthly beings according to various standards of divinity, goodness, piety, faith, or other virtues or right beliefs or simply the Will of God. Some believe in the possibility of a Heaven on Earth in a World to Come. Another belief is in an Axis mundi or World tree which connects the heavens, the world, and the underworld. In Indian religions, Heaven is considered as Svarga loka, and soul is again subjected to rebirth in different living forms according to its karma. This cycle can be broken after a soul achieves Moksha or Nirvana.
The Nuttall Encyclopedia
in Christian theology the place of the immediate Divine presence, where God manifests Himself without veil, and His saints enjoy that presence and know as they are known. In Scripture it denotes, (1) the atmosphere, (2) the starry region, (3) a state of bliss, (4) as defined, the divine presence, and (5) God Himself.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. The Coney Island of the Christian imagination. 2. Largely a matter of digestion. 3. An orphan asylum where institutionalism reigns. 4. A penitential colony where the virtuous and the good are condemned to eternal fellowship for their stupidities uttered on earth.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'heaven' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #4047
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'heaven' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2669
Rank popularity for the word 'heaven' in Nouns Frequency: #1370
Translations for heaven
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- سَمَاء, سَمَاوَات, جَنّةٌArabic
- ожмах, йәннәт, күкBashkir
- celCatalan, Valencian
- obloha, ráj, nebeCzech
- wybr, nefWelsh
- ουράνια, παράδεισος, ουρανόςGreek
- cielo, paraíso, firmamentoSpanish
- taevas, paradiisEstonian
- بهشت, سپهر, گرزمان, مینو, آسمانPersian
- taivas, paratiisiFinnish
- paradis, ciel, au-delàFrench
- himelWestern Frisian
- nèamh, speurScottish Gaelic
- גן־עדן, פרדיסא, שָׁמַיִםHebrew
- syèlHaitian Creole
- menny, ég, égbolt, mennybolt, mennyországHungarian
- դրախտ, երկինքArmenian
- celo, paradisoInterlingua
- langit, surgaIndonesian
- cielo, paradisoItalian
- 天, 天国, 天堂, 空, 楽園Japanese
- ზეცა, სამოთხეGeorgian
- 하늘, 하늘나라Korean
- ئاسمان, بهههشتKurdish
- Paradäis, HimmelLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- rojus, dangusLithuanian
- loka, syurga, loga, kayangan, sorga, jannah, adan, jannatMalay
- hof van Eden, lucht, tuin der lusten, firmament, paradijs, hemel, uitspanselDutch
- sky, himmel, paradisNorwegian
- yáʼąąsh, wótʼááhNavajo, Navaho
- raj, nieboPolish
- هسك, جنتPashto, Pushto
- céu, ParaísoPortuguese
- cer, raiRomanian
- рай, не́бо, небеса́Russian
- ра̑ј, rȃj, не̏бо, nebesa, nȅboSerbo-Croatian
- nébes, nebesa, neboSlovene
- paradis, himmel, himmelrike, skySwedish
- ฟ้า, สวรรค์Thai
- langit, paraisoTagalog
- cennet, gökyüzüTurkish
- trời, thiên đường, thiên đàngVietnamese
Get even more translations for heaven »
Find a translation for the heaven definition in other languages:
Select another language: