Definitions for harnessˈhɑr nɪs
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word harness
a support consisting of an arrangement of straps for holding something to the body (especially one supporting a person suspended from a parachute)
stable gear consisting of an arrangement of leather straps fitted to a draft animal so that it can be attached to and pull a cart
put a harness
"harness the horse"
exploit the power of
"harness natural forces and resources"
harness, rein in, draw rein, rein(verb)
control and direct with or as if by reins
"rein a horse"
rule, harness, rein(verb)
keep in check
"rule one's temper"
A restraint or support, especially one consisting of a loop or network of rope or straps.
A collection of wires or cables bundled and routed according to their function.
to place a harness on something; to tie up or restrain
They harnessed the horse to the post.
to capture, control or put to use
Imagine what might happen if it were possible to harness solar energy fully.
Origin: harneis, hernois.
originally, the complete dress, especially in a military sense, of a man or a horse; hence, in general, armor
the equipment of a draught or carriage horse, for drawing a wagon, coach, chaise, etc.; gear; tackling
the part of a loom comprising the heddles, with their means of support and motion, by which the threads of the warp are alternately raised and depressed for the passage of the shuttle
to dress in armor; to equip with armor for war, as a horseman; to array
fig.: To equip or furnish for defense
to make ready for draught; to equip with harness, as a horse. Also used figuratively
Origin: [OE. harneisen; cf. F. harnacher, OF. harneschier.]
Harness is a fictional mutant character in the Marvel Comics universe. Her first appearance was in New Mutants Annual #7.
Images & Illustrations of harness
Translations for harness
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- збру́я, ву́пражBelarusian
- arnèsCatalan, Valencian
- Geschirr, Anschnallgurt, Gurt, nutzbar machen, Pferdegeschirr, vorspannenGerman
- کنترل کردنPersian
- valjastaa, johtosarja, valjaatFinnish
- harnais, harnacherFrench
- greigh, cullee chabbil, greienysManx
- hám, befogHungarian
- harneso, harnesizarIdo
- braca, imbracare, imbracatura, imbragatura, frenare, imbrago, trattenere, imbrigliare, imbragareItalian
- uprząż, zaprząc, wiązka, ujarzmiać, zaprzęgać, pęk, ujarzmićPolish
- arreios, arrear, aproveitarPortuguese
- ham, harnașamentRomanian
- хому́т, у́пряжь, ремень, упря́жка, запрягать, сбру́яRussian
- пшњак, pšnjakSerbo-Croatian
- sela, seldon, binda, exploatera, utbygga, sele, spänna för, ta i anspråk, bygga ut, sela på, utnyttja, tämjaSwedish
- у́пряж, запрягати, збру́я, приборкуватиUkrainian
Get even more translations for harness »
Find a translation for the harness definition in other languages:
Select another language: