Definitions for happinessˈhæp i nɪs
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word happiness
state of well-being characterized by emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy
emotions experienced when in a state of well-being
The emotion of being happy; joy.
Good luck; good fortune; prosperity.
Fortuitous elegance; unstudied grace; u2014 used especially of language.
Some beauties yet no precepts can declare, For there's a happiness, as well as care. u2014 Alexander Pope.
good luck; good fortune; prosperity
an agreeable feeling or condition of the soul arising from good fortune or propitious happening of any kind; the possession of those circumstances or that state of being which is attended enjoyment; the state of being happy; contentment; joyful satisfaction; felicity; blessedness
fortuitous elegance; unstudied grace; -- used especially of language
Happiness is a mental or emotional state of well-being characterized by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy. A variety of biological, psychological, religious, and philosophical approaches have striven to define happiness and identify its sources. Various research groups, including positive psychology, endeavor to apply the scientific method to answer questions about what "happiness" is, and how it might be attained. It is of such fundamental importance to the human condition that "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" were deemed to be unalienable rights by the United States Declaration of Independence. Philosophers and religious thinkers often define happiness in terms of living a good life, or flourishing, rather than simply as an emotion. Happiness in this sense was used to translate the Greek Eudaimonia, and is still used in virtue ethics. Happiness economics suggests that measures of public happiness should be used to supplement more traditional economic measures when evaluating the success of public policy.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. Something that might have happened yesterday, but which will never happen tomorrow. 2. A postprandial state of mind, which is most often a presage of acute gastritis. 3. A loving-cup, the bottom of which is like a sieve. 4. A mental state compounded of wine, women and tobacco. 5. The exploitation and final triumph of an instinct in the individual that society has branded as wicked or dangerous. 6. Forgetting self in useful effort. 7. A habit--cultivate it.
U.S. National Library of Medicine
Highly pleasant emotion characterized by outward manifestations of gratification; joy.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'happiness' in Nouns Frequency: #2080
The numerical value of happiness in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of happiness in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
There was celebration and happiness, hugs and kisses.
Your definition of happiness is not your child’s definition of happiness.
I kept looking out for collecting happiness all my life till I one day realized that happiness stays with the one Who simply spreads happiness. So bring happiness to others and MickeyMize your life.
The ultimate purpose of our life is to be happy. We are born for happiness, we are going toward happiness, we like to live in happiness, and we like to vanish from this universe for eternal happiness.
People tend to spend the majority of their lives working, so it is important to understand the role that employment and unemployment play in shaping happiness, the research reveals that happiness differs considerably across employment status, job type, and industry sectors.
Images & Illustrations of happiness
Translations for happiness
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- səadət, xoşbəxtlikAzerbaijani
- བདེ་བTibetan Standard
- felicitatCatalan, Valencian
- lykke, glædeDanish
- Glücklichkeit, GlückGerman
- προκοπή, χαρά, ευτυχία, ευπραγία, ευημερίαGreek
- شادی, سعادت, خوشبختیPersian
- onni, onnellisuusFinnish
- àighScottish Gaelic
- boldogság, szerencseHungarian
- lukka, hamingja, gleðiIcelandic
- felicità, gioia, allegriaItalian
- 幸せ, 幸福, 愉快Japanese
- 행복, 幸福Korean
- laetitia, gaudium, felicitasLatin
- GléckLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- среќа, коб, радостMacedonian
- ആഹ്ളാദം, സുഖം, ആനന്ദം, സന്തോഷംMalayalam
- аз жаргалMongolian
- kegembiraan, kebahagiaanMalay
- blijheid, vreugde, geluk, blijdschap, fortuinDutch
- lukkeNorwegian Nynorsk
- glede, lykke, hellNorwegian
- ił hózhǫ́Navajo, Navaho
- bonaür, felicitatOccitan
- szczęście, radośćPolish
- felicidade, alegriaPortuguese
- fericire, bucurieRomanian
- радость, везение, фортуна, удача, счастьеRussian
- sreća, срећаSerbo-Croatian
- සන්තෝෂයSinhala, Sinhalese
- glädje, lycka, fröjdSwedish
- மகிழ்ச்சி, சந்தோஷம்Tamil
- бахт, шодӣ, саодатTajik
- bagt, eýgilik, şatlykTurkmen
- ligaya, kaligayahanTagalog
- mutluluk, saadetTurkish
- сәгадәть, сәгадәт, бәхетTatar
- baxt, chogʻlik, xushbaxtlikUzbek
- 幸福, hạnh phúc, sự hạnh phúcVietnamese
Get even more translations for happiness »
Find a translation for the happiness definition in other languages:
Select another language: