Definitions for halfbackˈhæfˌbæk, ˈhɑf-
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
Football. one of two backs who typically line up on each side of the fullback. the position played by such a back.
(in soccer, Rugby, field hockey, etc.) a player stationed near the forward line to carry out chiefly offensive duties.
Origin of halfback:
(football) the running back who plays the offensive halfback position
(American football) the position of a back on a football team
A position in field hockey, with both offensive and defensive roles.
An offensive back whose primary jobs are to carry the ball on running plays and to serve as a receiver or blocker on passing plays.
A defensive back whose primary jobs are to cover the slotback on passing plays and prevent running plays from going to the outside.
Translations for halfback
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
in football, hockey etc, (a player in) a position directly behind the forwards.
- خَط شِبْه الدِّفاعArabic
- médioPortuguese (BR)
- der LäuferGerman
- μέσος (για παίκτη ποδοσφαίρου)Greek
- پست میانهFarsi
- עֶמדָת קַשָרHebrew
- फुटबाल खिलाड़ी का स्थानHindi
- vezni igracCroatian
- gelandang tengahIndonesian
- miðvallarspilari, miðjumaðurIcelandic
- (축구, 하키의) 하프백Korean
- pemain barisan tengahMalay
- (verdedigende) middenvelderDutch
- half(back), midtbanespillerNorwegian
- pomocnik, pomocPolish
- پست میانهPersian
- هاف بيك ( دفوټبال په لوپه كىPashto
- zadnji bekSerbian
- orta savunma oyuncusu, hafbekTurkish
- 中衛Chinese (Trad.)
- ہاکی وغیرہ میں فارورڈ کے پیچھے کا مقامUrdu
- trung vệVietnamese
- 中卫Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for halfback »