Definitions for guaranteeˌgær ənˈti
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word guarantee
guarantee, warrant, warrantee, warranty(noun)
a written assurance that some product or service will be provided or will meet certain specifications
an unconditional commitment that something will happen or that something is true
"there is no guarantee that they are not lying"
a collateral agreement to answer for the debt of another in case that person defaults
give surety or assume responsibility
"I vouch for the quality of my products"
guarantee, ensure, insure, assure, secure(verb)
make certain of
"This nest egg will ensure a nice retirement for us"; "Preparation will guarantee success!"
promise to do or accomplish
"guarantee to free the prisoners"
stand behind and guarantee the quality, accuracy, or condition of
"The dealer warrants all the cars he sells"; "I warrant this information"
Anything that assures a certain outcome.
Can you give me a guarantee that he will be fit for the match?
A written declaration that a certain product will be fit for a purpose and work correctly.
The cooker comes with a 5-year guarantee.
A person who gives such a guarantee; a guarantor.
To assure that something will get done right.
To assume responsibility for a debt.
To make something certain.
The long sunny days guarantee a good crop.
Origin: guarantie, from the verb guarantir, from Old . Compare guaranty, warranty.
in law and common usage: A promise to answer for the payment of some debt, or the performance of some duty, in case of the failure of another person, who is, in the first instance, liable to such payment or performance; an engagement which secures or insures another against a contingency; a warranty; a security. Same as Guaranty
one who binds himself to see an undertaking of another performed; a guarantor
the person to whom a guaranty is made; -- the correlative of guarantor
in law and common usage: to undertake or engage for the payment of (a debt) or the performance of (a duty) by another person; to undertake to secure (a possession, right, claim, etc.) to another against a specified contingency, or at all avents; to give a guarantee concerning; to engage, assure, or secure as a thing that may be depended on; to warrant; as, to guarantee the execution of a treaty
In filmmaking, a guarantee is a term of an actor or director's contract that guarantees remuneration if, through no fault of their own, the artist is released from the contract. Such an arrangement is known informally as a “play-or-pay” contract. Many stars insist on guarantees in their contract due to the major time commitment agreeing to appear in a film can mean. For example, Kurt Russell's decision to appear in the film Soldier, for which he was paid $15 million, was a total commitment of 18 months, during which time he was not able to appear in another film. If the film were cancelled, or if he were replaced, Russell would be paid $15 million, or a large part of that fee, to compensate him for clearing his schedule. Studios are reluctant to agree to guarantees but accept them as part of the deal for signing major talent. They also have the advantage of enabling a studio to simply remove a player under such a contract with few legal complications.
British National Corpus
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'guarantee' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3605
Rank popularity for the word 'guarantee' in Nouns Frequency: #1712
Rank popularity for the word 'guarantee' in Verbs Frequency: #533
Translations for guarantee
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- garantirCatalan, Valencian
- ručitel, ručit, záruka, zajistit, garance, garantovatCzech
- kautionere, garanti, garantere, sikre, garantDanish
- garantieren, Garantie, Garant, versichernGerman
- garantio, garantiiEsperanto
- garantía, garantir, garante, garantizarSpanish
- tagama, tagatisEstonian
- taata, takuu, takuunantaja, takaajaFinnish
- garant, garantir, garantieFrench
- ráthaíocht, urra, slánaíochtIrish
- urras, barrantachd, barrantaichScottish Gaelic
- garancia, biztosíték, biztosít, kezeskedik, kezes, garantálHungarian
- երաշխիք, երաշխավորելArmenian
- garantire, garante, assicurare, garanziaItalian
- garantî, temînat, temînatker, temîn, garantîker, misoger, garantorKurdish
- garantie, garanderenDutch
- garantiNorwegian Nynorsk
- garanti, garantere, garantist, kausjonereNorwegian
- fiar, garantidor, garantia, garantirPortuguese
- garant, garanție, garanta, chezașRomanian
- гарантировать, порука, гарантияRussian
- јемство, jemstvo, jamčitiSerbo-Croatian
- zagotavljati, zagotoviti, garancija, zagotoviloSlovene
- garanti, garanteraSwedish
- güvence, garanti, teminat, kefilTurkish
Get even more translations for guarantee »
Find a translation for the guarantee definition in other languages:
Select another language: