Definitions for goodnessˈgʊd nɪs
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
the state or quality of being good.
moral excellence; virtue.
the best or most valuable part of anything; essence.
a euphemism for God:
(interj.)(used in expressions of surprise, alarm, etc.).
* Syn: goodness , morality , virtue refer to qualities of character or conduct that entitle the possessor to approval and esteem. goodness is the simple word for a general quality recognized as an inherent part of one's character: her goodness and honesty. morality implies conformity to the recognized standards of right conduct: a citizen of the highest morality. virtue is a rather formal word, and usu. suggests goodness that is consciously or steadily maintained, often in spite of evil influences: a man of unassailable virtue.
Origin of goodness:
that which is pleasing or valuable or useful
"weigh the good against the bad"; "among the highest goods of all are happiness and self-realization"
moral excellence or admirableness
"there is much good to be found in people"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
the quality of being good
moral goodness; nature's goodness
the parts of food or drink that are healthy or tasty
the best way to get the goodness out of garlic
My goodness, you've grown up a lot!
The state or characteristic of being good.
The good, nutritional, healthy part or content of something.
Thank goodness that the war is over!
The moral qualities which constitute Christian excellence; moral virtue.
the quality of being good in any of its various senses; excellence; virtue; kindness; benevolence; as, the goodness of timber, of a soil, of food; goodness of character, of disposition, of conduct, etc
Translations for goodness
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
(also my goodness ) an expression of surprise etc.
- genugtig, gatsAfrikaans
- يا الله!Arabic
- santo Deus!Portuguese (BR)
- můj božeCzech
- du meine Güte!German
- ih du milde!Danish
- Θεέ μου! (επιφ.)Greek
- ¡Dios mío!Spanish
- hyvänen aikaFinnish
- mon Dieu!French
- אֲנִי לא מַאֲמִין!Hebrew
- आश्चर्य की अभिव्यक्तिHindi
- pa dobro!Croatian
- te jó isten!Hungarian
- ya, ampun!Indonesian
- hamingjan sannaIcelandic
- santo Cielo!, buon Dio!Italian
- 저런, 어렵쇼Korean
- ak, Dievs!Latvian
- lieve hemelDutch
- gode Gud!; for Guds skyld!; gudskjelov!Norwegian
- Mój Boże!Polish
- santo Deus!Portuguese
- O, Doamne!Romanian
- боже мой!, вот те на!Russian
- preboha!, panebože!Slovak
- moj bog!Slovenian
- du milde!, milda makter!Swedish
- Aman Allahım!, Allah Allah!Turkish
- 天啊！Chinese (Trad.)
- حیرانی ظاہر کرنے کا لفظUrdu
- diễn tả sự ngạc nhiênVietnamese
- 天啊！Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for goodness »