Definitions for goodnessˈgʊd nɪs
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word goodness
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
the state or quality of being good.
moral excellence; virtue.
the best or most valuable part of anything; essence.
a euphemism for God:
(interj.)(used in expressions of surprise, alarm, etc.).
* Syn: goodness , morality , virtue refer to qualities of character or conduct that entitle the possessor to approval and esteem. goodness is the simple word for a general quality recognized as an inherent part of one's character: her goodness and honesty. morality implies conformity to the recognized standards of right conduct: a citizen of the highest morality. virtue is a rather formal word, and usu. suggests goodness that is consciously or steadily maintained, often in spite of evil influences: a man of unassailable virtue.
Origin of goodness:
that which is pleasing or valuable or useful
"weigh the good against the bad"; "among the highest goods of all are happiness and self-realization"
moral excellence or admirableness
"there is much good to be found in people"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
the quality of being good
moral goodness; nature's goodness
the parts of food or drink that are healthy or tasty
the best way to get the goodness out of garlic
My goodness, you've grown up a lot!
The state or characteristic of being good.
The good, nutritional, healthy part or content of something.
Thank goodness that the war is over!
The moral qualities which constitute Christian excellence; moral virtue.
the quality of being good in any of its various senses; excellence; virtue; kindness; benevolence; as, the goodness of timber, of a soil, of food; goodness of character, of disposition, of conduct, etc
Goodness was an American rock band from Seattle, Washington, led by Carrie Akre, formerly of Hammerbox and now primarily a solo artist. Goodness featured Akre, Danny Newcomb, Garth Reeves, Fiia McGann, and Chris Friel. Akre, Friel, and Newcomb later joined Mike McCready of Pearl Jam and Rick Friel to form the rock band The Rockfords. Goodness recorded a version of "Electricity, Electricity" with Mike McCready using the pseudonym "Petster" on electric guitar for the Schoolhouse Rock! Rocks tribute disc on Lava/Atlantic. They released their self-titled debut album in 1995 on Y Records, followed in 1998 by Anthem on Immortal/Epic and later These Days on Good Ink. Two live albums were released via Kufala Recordings in 2004. Goodness toured extensively all over the world, supporting such acts as Pearl Jam, Cheap Trick, and Oasis. They co-headlined a tour with Candlebox. Goodness reunited for shows at the Tractor Tavern in Ballard on November 22, 2008 and May 23, 2009.
Translations for goodness
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
(also my goodness ) an expression of surprise etc.
- genugtig, gatsAfrikaans
- يا الله!Arabic
- santo Deus!Portuguese (BR)
- můj božeCzech
- du meine Güte!German
- ih du milde!Danish
- Θεέ μου! (επιφ.)Greek
- ¡Dios mío!Spanish
- hyvänen aikaFinnish
- mon Dieu!French
- אֲנִי לא מַאֲמִין!Hebrew
- आश्चर्य की अभिव्यक्तिHindi
- pa dobro!Croatian
- te jó isten!Hungarian
- ya, ampun!Indonesian
- hamingjan sannaIcelandic
- santo Cielo!, buon Dio!Italian
- 저런, 어렵쇼Korean
- ak, Dievs!Latvian
- lieve hemelDutch
- gode Gud!; for Guds skyld!; gudskjelov!Norwegian
- Mój Boże!Polish
- santo Deus!Portuguese
- O, Doamne!Romanian
- боже мой!, вот те на!Russian
- preboha!, panebože!Slovak
- moj bog!Slovenian
- du milde!, milda makter!Swedish
- Aman Allahım!, Allah Allah!Turkish
- 天啊！Chinese (Trad.)
- حیرانی ظاہر کرنے کا لفظUrdu
- diễn tả sự ngạc nhiênVietnamese
- 天啊！Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for goodness »
Find a translation for the goodness definition in other languages:
Select another language: