Definitions for gambleˈgæm bəl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word gamble
money that is risked for possible monetary gain
a risky act or venture
gamble, chance, risk, hazard, take chances, adventure, run a risk, take a chance(verb)
take a risk in the hope of a favorable outcome
"When you buy these stocks you are gambling"
play games for money
A significant risk, undertaken with a potential gain.
A risky venture
The sailors had taken many gambles with the sea and always won.
To take a risk, with the potential of a positive outcome.
To play risky games, especially casino games, for monetary gain.
To risk (something) for potential gain.
He gambled his reputation on the outcome.
To interact with equipment at a casino
Origin: From gamenian 'to play', either via a dialectal survival of gammlen, a variant of gamenen 'to play, jest, be merry', or via a derivative of gamel 'to play games'
to play or game for money or other stake
to lose or squander by gaming; -- usually with away
Origin: [Dim. of game. See 2d Game.]
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Ultimately it's a gamble on the future.
Life's a Gamble, i want to do something good.
Hares can gamble over the body of a dead lion.
Right now many people come here mostly to gamble.
Love is not a gamble when your holding all the cards.
Translations for gamble
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- setzen, wetten, riskant, spielen, spekulieren, Spiel, zocken, Glücksspiel, HazardspielGerman
- στοίχημα, στοιχηματίζωGreek
- apostar, jugarSpanish
- uhkapelata, uhkapeli, ottaa riski, vaarantaaFinnish
- pari, parier, jeu de hasardFrench
- scommessa, scommettereItalian
- 賭け, ギャンブル, 懸ける, 賭けるJapanese
- purei moniMāori
- коцка, се коцка, комарMacedonian
- gok, waagstuk, vergokken, wagen, gokkenDutch
- hazard, ryzykowaćPolish
- авантюра, рисковать, играть в азартные игры, азартная играRussian
- wadjeure, trimler, riskerWalloon
Get even more translations for gamble »
Find a translation for the gamble definition in other languages:
Select another language: