Definitions for gallantˈgæl ənt for 1, 3, 4 ; gəˈlænt, -ˈlɑnt, ˈgæl ənt for 2, 5 ; n. gəˈlænt, -ˈlɑnt, ˈgæl ənt; gəˈlænt, -
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word gallant
dandy, dude, fop, gallant, sheik, beau, swell, fashion plate, clotheshorse(noun)
a man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance
a man who attends or escorts a woman
unflinching in battle or action
"a gallant warrior"; "put up a gallant resistance to the attackers"
lively and spirited
"a dashing hero"
gallant, lofty, majestic, proud(adj)
having or displaying great dignity or nobility
"a gallant pageant"; "lofty ships"; "majestic cities"; "proud alpine peaks"
chivalrous, gallant, knightly(adj)
being attentive to women like an ideal knight
showy; splendid; magnificent; gay; well-dressed
noble in bearing or spirit; brave; high-spirited; courageous; heroic; magnanimous; as, a gallant youth; a gallant officer
polite and attentive to ladies; courteous to women; chivalrous
a man of mettle or spirit; a gay; fashionable man; a young blood
one fond of paying attention to ladies
one who wooes; a lover; a suitor; in a bad sense, a seducer
to attend or wait on, as a lady; as, to gallant ladies to the play
to handle with grace or in a modish manner; as, to gallant a fan
Gallant, also known as Clear Springs or Greasy Cove, is a census-designated place and unincorporated community in Etowah County, Alabama, United States, and partially in St. Clair County, Alabama, United States. It lies west of the city of Gadsden, the county seat of Etowah County. As of the 2010 census, its population was 855. Its elevation is 814 feet. Although it is unincorporated, it has a post office, with the ZIP code of 35972.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. To remember one is a gentleman in spite of one's birth and training. 2. To give up your seat in a car to a woman, and tread on your neighbor's foot to get even. 3. To do a perfectly unselfish act from selfish motives.
Images & Illustrations of gallant
Translations for gallant
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ανδρείος, γενναίος, ιπποτικός, αβρός, ευγενήςGreek
- cortés, valiente, gallardoSpanish
- uljas, urhea, ritarillinen, kunniallinenFinnish
- cavaliere, gentiluomo, galante, damerino, valorosoItalian
- 勇敢な, 勇ましいJapanese
- джентльмен, отважный, смелый, щёголь, храбрый, обходительный, любезный, почтенный, галантный, доблестный, бравыйRussian
Get even more translations for gallant »
Find a translation for the gallant definition in other languages:
Select another language: