funny story, good story, funny remark, funny(adj)
an account of an amusing incident (usually with a punch line)
"she told a funny story"; "she made a funny"
amusing, comic, comical, funny, laughable, mirthful, risible(adj)
arousing or provoking laughter
"an amusing film with a steady stream of pranks and pratfalls"; "an amusing fellow"; "a comic hat"; "a comical look of surprise"; "funny stories that made everybody laugh"; "a very funny writer"; "it would have been laughable if it hadn't hurt so much"; "a mirthful experience"; "risible courtroom antics"
curious, funny, odd, peculiar, queer, rum, rummy, singular(adj)
beyond or deviating from the usual or expected
"a curious hybrid accent"; "her speech has a funny twang"; "they have some funny ideas about war"; "had an odd name"; "the peculiar aromatic odor of cloves"; "something definitely queer about this town"; "what a rum fellow"; "singular behavior"
fishy, funny, shady, suspect, suspicious(adj)
not as expected
"there was something fishy about the accident"; "up to some funny business"; "some definitely queer goings-on"; "a shady deal"; "her motives were suspect"; "suspicious behavior"
experiencing odd bodily sensations
"told the doctor about the funny sensations in her chest"
Plural form of funnyman.
droll; comical; amusing; laughable
a clinkerbuit, narrow boat for sculling
Origin: [From Fun.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
fun′i, adj. full of fun: droll: perplexing, odd.—adv. Funn′ily.—ns. Funn′iness, Funn′iment.—Funny bone, a popular name given to what is really the comparatively unprotected ulnar nerve, which, when struck by a blow, shoots a singular tingling sensation down the forearm to the fingers; Funny man, the clown in a circus.
fun′i, n. a light clinker-built pleasure-boat, with a pair of sculls.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'funny' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3338
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'funny' in Written Corpus Frequency: #538
Rank popularity for the word 'funny' in Adjectives Frequency: #289
The numerical value of funny in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of funny in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Funny-peculiar or funny-ha-ha
You can be funny or funny looking, we choose to be funny.
The funny thing is, it's so funny to call it a philosophy.
The world is a funny paper read backwards. And that way it isn't so funny.
When the situation is serious, don't be funny; and when the situation is funny, don't be serious!
Images & Illustrations of funny
Translations for funny
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مُضْحِك، هَزْليArabic
- divertitCatalan, Valencian
- zábavný, legračníCzech
- besynderlig, sjov, morsom, underligDanish
- eigenartig, merkwürdig, spaßig, seltsam, komisch, lustigGerman
- διασκεδαστικός, αστείοςGreek
- divertido, chistoso, cómico, extraño, gracioso, raro, inusualSpanish
- koominen, hupaisa, hassu, kummallinen, huvittava, outo, vitsi, hauskaFinnish
- bizarre, drôle, marrant, amusant, blague, étrange, rigoloFrench
- èibhinn, àbhachdachScottish Gaelic
- komikHaitian Creole
- skemmtilegur, hnyttinn, brandari, fyndinn, smellinnIcelandic
- strano, esilarante, scherzo, inconsueto, divertente, buffo, buffaItalian
- 可笑しい, 変, 面白いJapanese
- 이상한, 우스운, 재미있는Korean
- عهجایهب, سهیر, عهنتیکهKurdish
- lëschteg, spaasseg, komesch, aartlech, droleg, gelungenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- jocīgs, smieklīgsLatvian
- rar, gøy, artig, merkelig, morosam, morsomNorwegian
- mayagi-Ojibwe, Ojibwa
- divertido, estranho, engraçadoPortuguese
- caraghios, amuzantRomanian
- прикольный, странный, смешной, забавныйRussian
- märklig, sällsam, underlig, skojig, komisk, konstig, lustig, roligSwedish
- tuhaf, komik, acayip, gülünçTurkish
- كۈلكىلىكUyghur, Uighur
- buồn cườiVietnamese
Get even more translations for funny »
Find a translation for the funny definition in other languages:
Select another language: